Istanbul 2020 bid unveils sponsorship worth $20m
Berlin, January 21, 2013
Istanbul 2020 Olympic bid officials on Monday unveiled sponsorship deals worth $20 million with seven of Turkey's leading companies as they seek to pitch the country's growing economic clout as an asset for their candidacy.
Turkish airlines, Koc Holding and leading mobile phone operator Turkcell are among the companies who signed up to the bid, competing with Madrid and Tokyo for the 2020 summer Olympics.
"This is the largest private sector investment in any sports bid in Turkish history," bid leader Hasan Arat said in conference call with two international news agencies.
The list of sponsors also includes Uelker, Dogus Group , Digiturk and Sabanci Holding.
"It reflects Turkey's remarkable economic growth in the past five years."
With Spain's economy slumped in recession and the threat of a sovereign bailout still lingering and Japan struggling to stimulate growth and emerge from its own mild recession, Turkey is eager to highlight its solid growth.
The country's finance minister Mehmet Simsek said last week the economy grew around three percent last year, well below the heady pace of previous years.
A forecast supported by the World Bank predicted growth would rise to four percent in 2013.
"If you don't have a strong economy you cannot handle this operation (Olympics) because there is a huge amount of investment," said Arat.
"I think the economy and the appetite of the Turkish people is so important. This is the fifth bid of Turkey (in the last six campaigns). We learned a lot but this is a new bid for a new Turkey.
The International Olympic Committee will elect the host city in a vote in September in Buenos Aires. – Reuters
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Dubai Culture launches Instagram contest
- Dubai arts consultancy wins major hotel deal
- Du campaign sweeps Dubai Lynx Awards
- Arab heroes shine at Abu Dhabi Triathlon
- Memac Ogilvy wins big at Dubai Lynx Awards
- Bahrain set to host first bridal and fashion expo
- NAS CEO El Houry chosen Young Global Leader
- Branson to address top UAE executives at du forum
- Rare Qatari artefacts on display in Doha
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SES signs capacity deal with Libyan group
- Primedia appoints new general manager in UAE
- National Geographic announces Cosmos launch
- Red Stallion Interactive sets up Bahrain, Qatar offices
- New MD for Media Group International
- Al Aan TV picks Harris for HD service
- Ogilvy & Mather takes majority stake in Memac Ogilvy
- UAE to host first stage of IPL cricket
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- LIVE exhibits HD technologies at Cabsat
- Twitter crashes again, software glitch blamed
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- Art now 'a viable asset class for ME investors'
- 150 creative activities mark 1st Dubai Art Season
- KFC, MBC promotion offers visit to WWE event
- 155m-year-old dinosaur finds home in Dubai Mall
- Most firms take up more CSR projects
- Saudi salon plans expansion across Gulf
- Microsoft identifies new digital trends
- Etisalat offers live streaming TV apps