Dubai One to launch new travel series
Dubai, April 14, 2013
Dubai One, a part of the Dubai Media Incorporated (DMI), has announced plans to launch Peeta Planet, a new travel series for the socal media generation, starting from April 17 (Wednesday).
The program, being hosted by Mohamed and Peyman Al Awadhi from Qabeela New Media, is the first of its kind in terms of influencing the content on traditional mediums such as television by online platforms and new media. It will be aired every Wednesday at 9pm (UAE time).
The announcement of the program, and exclusive behind the scenes footage was previewed by DMI senior executives and official partners - Google and InterContinental Hotels Group, along with a crowd of international and local media.
"We are always eager to support innovative content creation on the channel and over the years Dubai One has seen massive success in the channel’s homegrown shows among both local and regional viewers," remarked Sarah Al Jarman, Dubai One channel manager.
“DMI is very keen on looking at ways in which traditional media and new media come to life. There have been several initiavtives both on air and through Dubai One’s digital platforms that have helped merge various media outlets together and have created content for the channel," she stated.
Al Jarman said the program was the brainchild of the Al Awadhi brothers and that the channel is keen on supporting young Emirati talent and their creativities amibitions.
“The development of local talent contributes to enhancing and improving the local and Arab media production industry in Dubai and the UAE in particular” she said.
Peeta Planet showcases human experiences as the brothers travel around the world, in their national Emiraiti wear, meeting aspiring trendsetters and connecting with various cultures.
The show is of 12 episodes, with 24 webisodes, filmed in a number of countries including Turkey, Singapore, Japan, Thailand, Ireland and Australia.
Followers from all platforms have been active in the pre-production stage while the team was shooting making several suggestions online that Peeta Planet team will feature in the episode.
The show is based on the interactions and suggestions of followers and members of the digital world who submitt their suggestions and offer their insights on where to go, what to eat and who to meet while travelling.
The show strives to highlight non-traditional forms of traveling and encourages followers to “social travel” or to connect with like-minded interests for new travel experiences, it added.
Dubai One partnered with Google to arm the Peeta Planet team with all the Google tools that help make travel seamless - from Maps and Google Translate to finding local food havens on Zagat. The Peeta Planet team have been sharing their experiences through video and social channels, such as YouTube and Google+, to reach audiences through the web.
"Today everything is about social and mobile, so it’s no surprise that travel is heading in that same direction. Peeta Planet is a breakthrough social travel TV show, influenced and directed by its followers and fans," remarked Maha Abouelenein, the head of communications for Google 0in Mena region.
"Google is excited to be a part of the journey providing a "digital" concierge to help with everything travelers need or want to share through the web," she added.
Peeta Planet was first piloted and supported by twofour54, specifically intaj and ibtikar, of the Abu Dhabi Media Zone Authority as a production created by Qabeela New Media.
"InterContinental Hotels & Resorts is proud to be a part of Dubai One’s new travel show, Peeta Planet, which has been using social media to map their adventure around the world," said Pascal Gauvin, the chief operating officer for InterContinental Hotels Group (India and MEA).
"This pioneering travel show is a great brand fit with our InterContinental brand, which has been a trailblazing presence in international travel since 1946 and was the first international hotel to open in the Middle East, over 50 years ago," he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- NAS CEO El Houry chosen Young Global Leader
- Branson to address top UAE executives at du forum
- Rare Qatari artefacts on display in Doha
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SES signs capacity deal with Libyan group
- Primedia appoints new general manager in UAE
- National Geographic announces Cosmos launch
- Red Stallion Interactive sets up Bahrain, Qatar offices
- New MD for Media Group International
- Al Aan TV picks Harris for HD service
- Ogilvy & Mather takes majority stake in Memac Ogilvy
- UAE to host first stage of IPL cricket
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- LIVE exhibits HD technologies at Cabsat
- Twitter crashes again, software glitch blamed
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- Art now 'a viable asset class for ME investors'
- 150 creative activities mark 1st Dubai Art Season
- KFC, MBC promotion offers visit to WWE event
- 155m-year-old dinosaur finds home in Dubai Mall
- Most firms take up more CSR projects
- Saudi salon plans expansion across Gulf
- Microsoft identifies new digital trends
- Etisalat offers live streaming TV apps
- Month-long British Festival in Qatar opens
- 20 students take part in Leo Burnett event
- Saudi, Emirati journalists quit Qatar jobs
- LuLu chief in top global Indian list
- New 'Best Things' website launched
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal