Emirates to sponsor top US soccer team
New York, June 6, 2013
Dubai-based Emirates Airline has agreed to a sponsorship deal to become the jersey-front sponsor of the New York Cosmos, a renowned soccer club.
This agreement makes Emirates a founding partner of the New York Cosmos in their North American reboot season.
The announcement was revealed by New York Cosmos honorary president Pelé, club Chairman Seamus O’Brien and Nabil Sultan, Emirates divisional senior vice president of Revenue Optimization and Distribution, at a news conference at the Four Seasons Hotel New York.
“This is a big day for the future of the New York Cosmos,” Pelé said. “It’s wonderful to be part of such a renowned soccer family.”
“We are delighted that we could create this partnership and bring such a world-renowned organization to United States soccer for the first time,” O’Brien said. “There’s no bigger corporate supporter of sports, and soccer in particular, than Emirates. We’re proud and honored that the Cosmos are part of their plans for America and New York in particular.”
“New York has a rich tradition of sport, and Emirates proudly supports some of the world’s top soccer teams, including AC Milan, Hamburger SV, Arsenal FC, Olympiacos FC, and Paris Saint-Germain, plus the recently announced shirt sponsorship of Real Madrid just last week.. Therefore, choosing to support the relaunch of the Cosmos back to this amazing city was an obvious choice,” said Sultan.
“As with our sponsorship of the US Open tennis tournament, Emirates views our partnership with the Cosmos as a way to thank the people of New York for making Emirates one of the world’s fastest growing airlines. Along with their fans in across the region, we look forward to watching the Cosmos reclaim their title as New York’s legendary soccer team.”
The Fly Emirates logo will adorn the legendary Cosmos green and white shirts produced by Nike beginning with the 2013 North American Soccer League (NASL) fall season. The jerseys will make their debut on August 3 at the Cosmos opening match against the Fort Lauderdale Strikers.
Emirates will benefit from significant branding at Cosmos matches in and around Hofstra University’s Shuart Stadium, as well as online through the New York Cosmos’ social and digital media channels.
Additionally, Emirates becomes the presenting sponsor of the Cosmos Copa, a soccer tournament played in New York City between local, community-based ‘national teams.’ Emirates and the Cosmos will also activate a number of unique and interactive events in New York around the NASL season. – TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- NAS CEO El Houry chosen Young Global Leader
- Branson to address top UAE executives at du forum
- Rare Qatari artefacts on display in Doha
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SES signs capacity deal with Libyan group
- Primedia appoints new general manager in UAE
- National Geographic announces Cosmos launch
- Red Stallion Interactive sets up Bahrain, Qatar offices
- New MD for Media Group International
- Al Aan TV picks Harris for HD service
- Ogilvy & Mather takes majority stake in Memac Ogilvy
- UAE to host first stage of IPL cricket
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- LIVE exhibits HD technologies at Cabsat
- Twitter crashes again, software glitch blamed
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- Art now 'a viable asset class for ME investors'
- 150 creative activities mark 1st Dubai Art Season
- KFC, MBC promotion offers visit to WWE event
- 155m-year-old dinosaur finds home in Dubai Mall
- Most firms take up more CSR projects
- Saudi salon plans expansion across Gulf
- Microsoft identifies new digital trends
- Etisalat offers live streaming TV apps
- Month-long British Festival in Qatar opens
- 20 students take part in Leo Burnett event
- Saudi, Emirati journalists quit Qatar jobs
- LuLu chief in top global Indian list
- New 'Best Things' website launched
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal