Qatari films to showcase at UK festival
Doha, June 13, 2013
Qatari films based on the stories of Qatari nationals and residents, examining social issues will be showcased at an arts festival to be held on June 15 in Liverpool, UK.
As part of the UK Qatar 2013 Year of Culture, the ‘Made in Qatar’ film programme will premiere at the Liverpool Arab Arts Festival, to be held at the Bluecoat Museum. It will feature a number of short films by young Qatari filmmakers curated by the Doha Film Institute, which will be shown continuously from 12pm to 6pm, said a statement.
A highlight of the showcase is Al Muqanaa, which provides an intimate portrait of well-known and highly recognised Doha resident Ahmed Al-Jaber, the retired policeman and self-confessed artist.
The film gives a name to the mustachioed face that locals had known as ‘the man with the crazy cars’ due to his collection of intricately decorated cars and motorbikes which are adorned with various items of Arab bling. This short film tells his story, his relationship with the community and reveals Al-Jaber's creative vision for the future of Qatar.
Martin Hope, director of the British Council in Qatar, said: “The ‘Made in Qatar’ film programme provides people with a fascinating snap shot of Qatari life and culture. Qatar UK 2013 Year of Culture aims to cultivate mutual recognition, understanding and appreciation of Qatari and British cultures through events like this one that both entertain and educate. The Year also celebrates the strong existing ties between the two countries.” - TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Arab heroes shine at Abu Dhabi Triathlon
- Memac Ogilvy wins big at Dubai Lynx Awards
- Bahrain set to host first bridal and fashion expo
- NAS CEO El Houry chosen Young Global Leader
- Branson to address top UAE executives at du forum
- Rare Qatari artefacts on display in Doha
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SES signs capacity deal with Libyan group
- Primedia appoints new general manager in UAE
- National Geographic announces Cosmos launch
- Red Stallion Interactive sets up Bahrain, Qatar offices
- New MD for Media Group International
- Al Aan TV picks Harris for HD service
- Ogilvy & Mather takes majority stake in Memac Ogilvy
- UAE to host first stage of IPL cricket
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- LIVE exhibits HD technologies at Cabsat
- Twitter crashes again, software glitch blamed
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- Art now 'a viable asset class for ME investors'
- 150 creative activities mark 1st Dubai Art Season
- KFC, MBC promotion offers visit to WWE event
- 155m-year-old dinosaur finds home in Dubai Mall
- Most firms take up more CSR projects
- Saudi salon plans expansion across Gulf
- Microsoft identifies new digital trends
- Etisalat offers live streaming TV apps
- Month-long British Festival in Qatar opens
- 20 students take part in Leo Burnett event
- Saudi, Emirati journalists quit Qatar jobs