Du invites entries for social media awards
Dubai, November 17, 2013
Entries have been invited for the second annual 'du Social Media Awards,' held in celebration of UAE National Day, to recognise the UAE’s most innovative social media users, who use the internet to contribute to their community and spread messages of positivity.
The last date for submitting the applications online is November 18, said a statement from UAE-based telecom operator du.
Judging this year’s competition will be an expert panel, comprising eminent members of the Emirati community. They are:
*Dherar Belhoul, General Manager, Watani
As the General Manager of Watani, an organisation that aims to strengthen the sense of national identity amongst UAE nationals, Belhoul is keen to see social media used to emphasise the importance of being a responsible citizen, both online and offline.
*Marwan Bin Jassim Al Sarkal, CEO, Sharjah Investment and Development Authority - Shurooq
As a key leader of Sharjah’s growth and a member of several prestigious societies to encourage development in the UAE, Al Sarkal sees the UAE as a country where nothing is impossible. He believes life offers challenges that can be turned to valuable opportunities through leadership and team spirit – values he wishes to see emphasised through social media.
*Salem Buti Bel Youha, the director, Media Development and Innovation, Government of Dubai Media Office
No stranger to the UAE’s media, Bel Youha is an active figure in Dubai’s arts and culture movement. He oversees the official social media accounts of Government of Dubai Media Office and Dubai Press Club.
*Hala Badri, the executive VP, Brand and Communications, du
As the head of du’s Brand and Communications department, Badri understands the power of social media and knows what it takes to communicate effectively. She has a keen interest in benefitting the UAE community through positive sustainable development.
The judges will review all entries to choose three nominees along with the winners for each category: the Social Responsibility Award, Best Video Content Award, Best Blogger Award, Best Social Supporter of Expo 2020 Award. The 12 nominees will compete against People’s Choice Award start from 20th November 2013.
Finalists for the People’s Choice Award will be announced on November 25, at which point voting will open for the UAE to choose their favourite entrant.
The du Social Media Awards were launched in 2012, to celebrate the UAE’s 41st National Day. Winners were selected on the basis of who best represented the spirit of the nation through their use of social media, said Hala Badri.
"Social media presents us with a powerful opportunity to spread positive messages that uplift community spirit, and contribute to the benefit of the nation. Through our annual Social Media Awards, we are celebrating the members of our society who best represent the spirit of the Union through their digital communication," she noted.
"We are looking for entrants who create content that promotes patriotism, loyalty and national pride, nurturing a stronger sense of community in support of our leaderships’ achievements," she added.-TradeArabia News Service
Tags: UAE National Day |
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE
- RAK charity run sees record participation
- Tussauds owner plans Dubai theme park
- Batelco provides 4G services at F1 testing
- OSN unveils current affairs themed reality show
- Book marks UAE-based Indian business leaders
- YouTube ordered to remove anti-Islamic film
- Book on young Indian business leaders released
- Alwaleed makes it to Bloomberg’s billionaires index
- Bold&Beautiful stars to race Abu Dhabi triathlon
- Paragon releases new Arabic dictionary apps