Dubai duo brings glory to Indian cinema
Dubai, December 11, 2013
The Indian film The Lunchbox, a heartwarming love story making its Middle East premiere with a gala screening at the 10th Dubai International Film Festival (DIFF), has a strong Dubai connection that is little known. Two of the film’s producers - Arun Rangachari and Sunil John - are Dubai-based professionals.
The Lunchbox is competing at DIFF for the prestigious Muhr AsiaAfrica Awards in the Feature film category, and will have its gala screening today (December 11) at 7.30pm at the Madinat Arena.
A second screening will be held on Friday at 9pm at Mall of the Emirates Cinema 6.
DAR Motion Pictures has produced nearly 10 films, but The Lunchbox has emerged as the most successful to date from the team, bringing international glory to Indian cinema as it celebrates its centenary year in 2013.
Rangachari is the chairman & CEO of DAR Capital Group, while John, the CEO of ASDA’A Burson-Marsteller, a leading PR consultancy, is the partner & director at DAR Motion Pictures.
The Lunchbox has been described as a defining film in the history of Indian cinema, having not only won international acclaim at Cannes Film Festival but also gained strong box-office success in India.
The film’s theme has universal resonance, and won over audiences at all the film festivals it was screened. The film is a compelling example of global collaboration with studios from India, US, France and Germany coming together to produce a film that strikes a chord with global audiences.
Starring Irrfan Khan (Life of Pi, Slumdog Millionaire), The Lunchbox is directed by debutant Ritesh Batra. The film had its world premiere at Cannes and went on to win the Critics Week Viewers’ Choice Award. It was also screened at the Toronto International Film Festival.
Set in Mumbai, the film depicts the virtual relationship of Ila (played by Nimrat Kaur), who tries to add some spice to her marriage through her cooking. However, the special lunchbox she packs for her husband is mistakenly delivered to a lonely man (Irrfan Khan) on the verge of retirement.
She adds a note in the following day’s lunchbox, and triggers a strange yet unique relationship with him. Through the lunchbox, they embark on a curious journey of discovery, sharing their regrets, fears and joys through these notes. Nawazuddin Siddiqui plays a cameo role in the film.
The top-rated film by critics in India this year is set for theatrical distribution in the US by Sony Classic Pictures in 2014. The film will release in theatres in the UAE on December 27.-TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Majid Al Futtaim plans cinema expansion
- Dubai Culture launches Instagram contest
- Dubai arts consultancy wins major hotel deal
- Du campaign sweeps Dubai Lynx Awards
- Arab heroes shine at Abu Dhabi Triathlon
- Memac Ogilvy wins big at Dubai Lynx Awards
- Bahrain set to host first bridal and fashion expo
- NAS CEO El Houry chosen Young Global Leader
- Branson to address top UAE executives at du forum
- Rare Qatari artefacts on display in Doha
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SES signs capacity deal with Libyan group
- Primedia appoints new general manager in UAE
- National Geographic announces Cosmos launch
- Red Stallion Interactive sets up Bahrain, Qatar offices
- New MD for Media Group International
- Al Aan TV picks Harris for HD service
- Ogilvy & Mather takes majority stake in Memac Ogilvy
- UAE to host first stage of IPL cricket
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- LIVE exhibits HD technologies at Cabsat
- Twitter crashes again, software glitch blamed
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- Art now 'a viable asset class for ME investors'
- 150 creative activities mark 1st Dubai Art Season
- KFC, MBC promotion offers visit to WWE event
- 155m-year-old dinosaur finds home in Dubai Mall
- Most firms take up more CSR projects
- Saudi salon plans expansion across Gulf
- Microsoft identifies new digital trends