Dubai Marathon live on Dubai Sports Channel
Dubai, December 22, 2007
The 2008 Standard Chartered Dubai Marathon - the world’s richest running event - will be broadcast live by Dubai Sports Channel.
This follows the signing of a major five-year deal between the broadcaster and the Dubai Marathon.
The deal, signed by Dubai Sports Channel’s Rashid Amiri and general co-ordinator of the Dubai Marathon Ahmed Al Kamali, sees Dubai Sports Channel confirmed as the event’s host broadcaster from 2008 to 2012 inclusive starting with the channel providing major outside broadcast facilities for Ethiopian legend Haile Gebrselassie’s world record attempt in Dubai on January 18.
“We are delighted to be working closely with Dubai Sports Channel as we count down to the richest running event in marathon history,” said Al Kamali.
“Their support and expertise will be invaluable during the staging of an event that has captured the imagination of the running world,” Al Kamali added.
To be held under the patronage of vice-president and prime minister of UAE and Ruler of Dubai HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum and staged under the aegis of the Dubai Sports Council, the Standard Chartered Dubai Marathon offers a total prize-fund of $1 million as well as an additional bonus of $1 million for a new world record, courtesy of Dubai Holding.
Gebrselassie currently holds the marathon world record time of 2h:04m:26s which he set in Berlin back in October. And with a good field, excellent weather conditions and a superb running surface, the talented African superstar is targeting the Standard Chartered Dubai Marathon for a serious attempt at what would be the 27th world record of his 15 years at the top.
As well as the live broadcast, Dubai Sports Channel will also produce a one-hour highlights show for distribution to international TV networks as well as footage for international news broadcasts.
With just under four weeks to go, runners who have yet to register are advised to get their applications in for the marathon itself or the associated 10-km Road Race and four-km Fun Run by going on-line at www.dubaimarathon.org before December 31 or by registering at any branch of Fitness First. – TradeArabia News Service
More Miscellaneous Stories
- UAE road accidents decline by 23.5pc
- Top businesswomen in Bahrain honoured
- Death penalty sought for Bahrain terrorists
- Girl, 9, dies after fall from 8th floor in Abu Dhabi
- Lebanese café brand opens Dubai outlet
- Bahrain poultry firm told to step up safety
- Customer dies in Bahrain cafe brawl
- Bahraini boys hurt while planting bombs
- Philips, Ericsson launch LED street lighting
- DuBiotech to set up first Halal safety lab
- Jotun to supply coatings for Makkah Station
- Raytheon wins $655m Kuwait Patriot deal
- Alwaleed Foundation lights up 3 Saudi villages
- Poultry farms strike may trigger shortages in Bahrain
- Oman seals Victoria food security pact
- Saudi woman, 80, donates $133m to charity
- New Saudi clamp on energy drinks
- Outrage follows Bahrain killer bomb
- Improvised explosive device used in Bahrain attack
- 3 policemen killed in Bahrain blast
- Dammam-Al Ahsa train service starts
- Egypt wheat supplies enough to last until June
- Expat killed at Saudi workers' holding facility
- 80 global speakers for Doha summit on family
- Restaurant runs up $47,555 phone bill in 4 days
- NZ minister to visit Gulf states
- Public-private tie-ups ‘vital for agri growth’
- China firm wins solar power project in Amman
- 15,000 attend Bahrain garden show
- Omani firms shine at top food expo