Masdar, Spain firm launch solar power JV
Abu Dhabi, March 12, 2008
Spain’s Sener Grupo de Ingenieria SA and Abu Dhabi’s Masdar today announced a joint venture to design, build and operate concentrating solar power (CSP) plants in the world's Sunbelt regions.
One of Torresol Energy's primary objectives is to widen the adoption of CSP and make it more compatible with grid parity, said a statement.
Sener will own a 60 percent share of Torresol Energy, with Masdar owning the remaining 40 percent.
The joint venture will commence work on three solar power plants in Spain with an approximate combined value of €800 million, one of which will be a CSP Central Tower Receiver System.
This technology will feature the first-ever commercial deployment of the industry-changing technology, and will set the standards for an anticipated 500 MW of CSP projects across the Sunbelt countries by 2012.
Independently of Torresol Energy, Masdar is developing CSP plants in Abu Dhabi, and its flagship plant “Shams 1” is expected to be completed in the fourth quarter of 2010.
In every new project Torresol Energy expects to introduce and test new technologies with the long term objectives of making CSP a very competitive and reliable technology, achieving a sustainable leading position in this sector and contributing to the protection of the environment for future generations, the statement said.
Sener has been working for almost a decade in the development of solar thermal power technology. The company is presently designing and building, in a joint venture, three 50 MW parabolic through plants with molten salt storage in Spain.
Sener has also devised and tested innovative solutions for CSP tower plants and has started the detailed design of Central Receiver Plants. The company expects to apply all these solutions in the projects of Torresol Energy and also for other clients worldwide, the statement said.
Sener president and CEO, Jorge Sendagorta, and Masdar CEO, Dr Sultan Al Jaber, announced the launch of Torrresol Energy at a press conference in the Diputación Foral de Bizkaia. Sultan M Al-Qortasi, the UAE Ambassador to Spain, attended the event as guest of honour.
Torresol Energy comes from the common vision of SENER and MASDAR to build a leading global company for the generation of reliable power from solar energy and contribute to the protection of the environment for future generations.
“We have a shared mission: to invest globally in profitable and efficient concentrating solar power plants and to pioneer new technologies and drive down the future costs of generation”, said Sendagorta.
“Masdar is committed to developing and delivering future energy solutions. And the Torresol CSP technology promises to be the technology that will revolutionise the way we draw energy from the sun” said Al Jaber.
“Partnering with Sener will accelerate our objective of creating the scale and technology improvements required for a wider adoption of CSP technology while fulfilling our mandate to the Abu Dhabi government’s alternative energy program.” – TradeArabia News Service
More Miscellaneous Stories
- BAE Systems falls after UAE halts fighter talks
- GCC to set up 100,000-strong security force
- Bahrain seizes $7.2m drugs in boat raids
- UAE pulls out of $9.8bn Eurofighter deal
- Saudi's inaugural food expo 'a big hit'
- One million Gazans in need of food aid says UN
- US burger chain to open outlets in Saudi
- $350,000 raised at Dubai charity event
- 2013 deadliest for desperate migrants, says report
- Bahrain sees 25pc drop in fires