EADS, L&T in India defence JV
Mumbai, May 6, 2009
EADS Defence & Security (DS) and Indian engineering giant Larsen & Toubro (L&T), Mumbai, will join forces to set up a defence technology company.
The new company, to be set up in Talegaon near Pune, aims to design, develop, manufacture state-of-the-art defence electronic products and systems for the Indian defence forces.
It will also offer related services in the fields of electronic warfare, radar, military avionics and mobile systems (such as modular bridges) for military applications, said a top official.
AM Naik, chairman and managing director of L&T said: 'For over two decades, L&T has been a major supplier of critical systems to India's defence forces. These include a wide range of products like weapon launchers, naval systems and radar systems.'
'We welcome the formation of this joint venture that will create opportunities for development of state-of-the-art defence electronic products and systems for the Indian defence forces and for the rest of the world.'
Dr. Stefan Zoller, CEO of EADS Defence & Security, stated: 'EADS DS is a high tech company driving the development of integrated system solutions for armed forces and civil security worldwide. We are proud of joining forces with one of India's biggest technology companies.'
'Our joint venture is proof of our commitment to India. EADS would like to move beyond just providing high technology sales to India by creating an Indian Industrial base with the development of a long term partnership including the transfer of technology wherever necessary,' he commneted.
'The co-operation with L&T is an important milestone on the way to increase our industrial footprint in India. The Indian defence and security market is growing fast and we want to grow with it,' Zoller added.
The joint venture company will develop and manufacture indigenious solutions for military requirements of Indian customers as well as the world market. Thus, the company will provide the armed forces with locally produced high tech equipment and assured life-time support.
Since 2006, EADS DS has been working in a successful partnership with the Defence Avionics Research Establishment (Dare), a reputed DRDO (Defence Research & Development Organisation) laboratory based in Bangalore.
L&T has played a leading role in India's indigenization effort for Defence equipment and systems.
With an impressive track record that includes design, development and manufacture of integrated multi-disciplinary defence systems, L&T has matured into a trusted partner for the Indian Armed forces and DRDO.-TradeArabia News Service
More Miscellaneous Stories
- More companies 'getting into CSR activities'
- Middle East grain import bills could rise
- New Emirati themed restaurant opens
- 4 UAE companies in race for agri innovation awards
- Stage set for Bahrain Animal Production Show
- Amphibious boats make global debut in Dubai
- Dubai chamber F&B group sets roadmap for 2014
- Feminisation drive costs $213m to Saudi firms
- US interiors firm opens MEA base in Dubai
- Saudi 'spends $1.6bn on energy drinks'
- Farmer is jailed for raping housemaid in Bahrain
- Bahraini mother recounts firebombs agony
- Guard foils masked ATM robbers in Bahrain
- Bahraini on Arab world's 'most powerful women' list
- Latest kitchen technology at Sharjah event
- Number of HNWIs in Africa to double by 2023
- World boxing legend to visit Bahrain
- UAE road accidents decline by 23.5pc
- Top businesswomen in Bahrain honoured
- Death penalty sought for Bahrain terrorists
- Girl, 9, dies after fall from 8th floor in Abu Dhabi
- Lebanese café brand opens Dubai outlet
- Bahrain poultry firm told to step up safety
- Customer dies in Bahrain cafe brawl
- Bahraini boys hurt while planting bombs
- Philips, Ericsson launch LED street lighting
- DuBiotech to set up first Halal safety lab
- Jotun to supply coatings for Makkah Station
- Raytheon wins $655m Kuwait Patriot deal
- Alwaleed Foundation lights up 3 Saudi villages