Showtime seals 5-year MGM deal
Dubai, May 10, 2009
Showtime Arabia, a leading Pay-TV network in Mena region, has signed a five-year deal with MGM Worldwide Television bringing a bouquet of blockbusters to Showtime customers throughout the Middle East.
The agreement marks the first Video On Demand (VOD) offer from MGM, a division of Metro-Goldwyn Mayer Studios, in the region and offers its films exclusively to Showtime customers.
With 205 Academy Awards, the world's largest library of modern films and home to numerous successful film franchises, including James Bond, Pink Panther and Rocky, MGM is a fantastic addition to Showtime customers’ entertainment line-up.
The deal adds MGM to the list of powerhouse studios that are signed up with Showtime including Sony, Disney, Universal, Dreamworks, and many local and international producers.
As per the agreement, Showtime Arabia will carry MGM titles such as the recent James Bond franchise hits that include Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace, the final installment in the Rocky franchise Rocky Balboa, the political thriller Lions for Lambs starring Tom Cruise, Robert Redford and Meryl Streep, and Pink Panther-2, starring Steve Martin, said a top official.
Marc-Antoine d'Halluin, president and CEO, Showtime Arabia, said: 'MGM's brand and its diverse selection of popular feature films will enrich our customers’ experience.'
'We're very proud to add MGM's popular film franchises to Showtime's Pay TV and Video On Demand services and look forward to exploring other opportunities with the studio,' he commented.
Chris Ottinger, executive vice president, Worldwide Television, MGM, said: 'As the leading Pay TV provider throughout the region, Showtime Arabia is an ideal partner for MGM.'
'We are pleased to collaborate with Showtime Arabia in bringing MGM's theatrical blockbusters to the movie fans throughout the Middle East and believe the Video On Demand platform will be a tremendous asset in gaining exposure for MGM's films and growing our global VOD business model,' he added.
Showtime will kick off the partnership in June, premiering two of the latest Bond films in the 007 franchise.
Later this year, Showtime will hit the ultimate in viewing - the complete collection of James Bond films – 22 in total making the 007 franchise one of the most famous and indeed the longest running in the history of cinema.
Showtime customers can also look forward to many future titles currently in production including Cabin in the Woods starring Oscar nominee Richard Jenkins and Hot Tub Machine starring John Cusack.-TradeArabia News Service
More Miscellaneous Stories
- UAE road accidents decline by 23.5pc
- Top businesswomen in Bahrain honoured
- Death penalty sought for Bahrain terrorists
- Girl, 9, dies after fall from 8th floor in Abu Dhabi
- Lebanese café brand opens Dubai outlet
- Bahrain poultry firm told to step up safety
- Customer dies in Bahrain cafe brawl
- Bahraini boys hurt while planting bombs
- Philips, Ericsson launch LED street lighting
- DuBiotech to set up first Halal safety lab
- Jotun to supply coatings for Makkah Station
- Raytheon wins $655m Kuwait Patriot deal
- Alwaleed Foundation lights up 3 Saudi villages
- Poultry farms strike may trigger shortages in Bahrain
- Oman seals Victoria food security pact
- Saudi woman, 80, donates $133m to charity
- New Saudi clamp on energy drinks
- Outrage follows Bahrain killer bomb
- Improvised explosive device used in Bahrain attack
- 3 policemen killed in Bahrain blast
- Dammam-Al Ahsa train service starts
- Egypt wheat supplies enough to last until June
- Expat killed at Saudi workers' holding facility
- 80 global speakers for Doha summit on family
- Restaurant runs up $47,555 phone bill in 4 days
- NZ minister to visit Gulf states
- Public-private tie-ups ‘vital for agri growth’
- China firm wins solar power project in Amman
- 15,000 attend Bahrain garden show
- Omani firms shine at top food expo