Finmeccanica wins $65m UAE Navy order
Rome, August 5, 2009
Finmeccanica, through its companies Selex Sistemi Integrati, OTO Melara and WASS, has been selected by the UAE Navy to supply it with naval and underwater systems for a new Abu Dhabi class ship, in a contract valued at EUR45 million ($64.8 million).
The platform for the ship will be built by Fincantieri. Selex Sistemi Integrati will provide an IPN-S command and control system, an NA 30S firing control system, a Kronos 3D radar system, a SIR-M secondary radar and a Medusa MK4B electro-optical system, with a total value of EUR15 million.
The company will also be responsible for the functional integration of the combat system. A key element of the contract is the Kronos multi-role solid-state 3D radar, designed and developed completely by Selex Sistemi Integrati based on its experience with Empar, the naval radar systems used by the Italian Navy and other foreign clients.
The decision by the UAE to pick Kronos represents a great international sales success for this type of radar, which has many competitive advantages over its rivals in the same class.
OTO Melara will supply two 30-mm Marlin Weapons Stations, worth EUR2 million, and a Stealth version of the Super Rapid 76/62 naval gun.
As the prime contractor, WASS, in partnership with Thales Underwater Systems, will build an ASW (Anti-Submarine-Warfare) system worth around EUR27 million.-TradeArabia News Service
More Miscellaneous Stories
- US burger chain to open outlets in Saudi
- $350,000 raised at Dubai charity event
- 2013 deadliest for desperate migrants, says report
- Bahrain sees 25pc drop in fires
- 4,500 to exhibit at Dubai food show
- Northrop Grumman names new Saudi head
- 1,500 delegates at Ajman networking event
- Iran buys Indian raw sugar in rare deals
- US, Chinese warships narrowly avoid collision
- Gulf Air backs UN 'MY World' survey