Soft drinks plant in Bahrain will stay closed
Manama, February 2, 2010
A soft drinks factory in Bahrain that was shut down nine days ago after 'foreign bodies' were found in one of its products could remain closed for another week, it has emerged.
Fungus was found in a bottle of Crush bought at a Muharraq coffee shop by a member of the public, who reported the discovery to health authorities.
The Health Ministry ordered the closure of the Refreshment Trading Company bottling plant on January 23.
A ministry spokesman yesterday said investigations were continuing, but revealed the plant - located near the British Council on Shaikh Salman Highway - could remain closed for another week.
'A thorough investigation is underway now,' he told the GDN.
'We have found that the foreign bodies were actually fungus growth and are now trying to figure out where it came from.'
He said the entire plant was being investigated to locate the source of the fungus, but added there had been no mass recall of Crush from the shops.
The spokesman stressed that only one bottle showed signs of contamination and no other complaints had been received.
However, it is understood authorities have taken all bottles of the soft drink from the coffee shop where it was sold as a precaution.
They have also sealed all stock in the factory that was bottled on the same day.
'Some corrective action has been suggested to the (bottling) company and that is being implemented as well,' added the spokesman.
Another detailed inspection of the bottling plant is now expected and further laboratory tests will be carried out once corrective measures have been implemented, he revealed.
'We shall then see if the factory is ready to open,' he said.
'The whole process could take up to a week.'
Crush is a member of the Coca-Cola soft drink family, but is bottled in Bahrain by the Refreshment Trading Company.
A company official last night said it was co-operating fully with authorities.
'We are taking all measures they have suggested, but will come out with a detailed response once a formal report on the investigations is made available to us,' he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Miscellaneous Stories
- UAE road accidents decline by 23.5pc
- Top businesswomen in Bahrain honoured
- Death penalty sought for Bahrain terrorists
- Girl, 9, dies after fall from 8th floor in Abu Dhabi
- Lebanese café brand opens Dubai outlet
- Bahrain poultry firm told to step up safety
- Customer dies in Bahrain cafe brawl
- Bahraini boys hurt while planting bombs
- Philips, Ericsson launch LED street lighting
- DuBiotech to set up first Halal safety lab
- Jotun to supply coatings for Makkah Station
- Raytheon wins $655m Kuwait Patriot deal
- Alwaleed Foundation lights up 3 Saudi villages
- Poultry farms strike may trigger shortages in Bahrain
- Oman seals Victoria food security pact
- Saudi woman, 80, donates $133m to charity
- New Saudi clamp on energy drinks
- Outrage follows Bahrain killer bomb
- Improvised explosive device used in Bahrain attack
- 3 policemen killed in Bahrain blast
- Dammam-Al Ahsa train service starts
- Egypt wheat supplies enough to last until June
- Expat killed at Saudi workers' holding facility
- 80 global speakers for Doha summit on family
- Restaurant runs up $47,555 phone bill in 4 days
- NZ minister to visit Gulf states
- Public-private tie-ups ‘vital for agri growth’
- China firm wins solar power project in Amman
- 15,000 attend Bahrain garden show
- Omani firms shine at top food expo