Egypt targets $3.6bn in food exports by 2013
Cairo, February 22, 2010
Egypt is targeting EGP20 billion ($3.6 billion) in food exports by 2013, the daily al-Ahram quoted the chairman of the Food Export Council, a Trade Ministry affiliate, as saying.
'Egypt has promising prospects for increasing food exports, which reached EGP10.8 billion in 2009, a 10 per cent increase over the previous year,' Monday's paper quoted Hani Berzi as saying.
Berzi was speaking at a conference in Dubai on Sunday.
Dairy products topped the list of Egyptian food exports at EGP1.9 billion in value, it added.
'The food industries sector has drawn up a plan to reach EGP20 billion in exports by 2013. State support and expansion of the agricultural land dedicated to food production will allow this goal to be reached,' al-Ahram quoted Berzi as saying.
Earlier this month, Egypt's trade minister was quoted by state news agency MENA as saying Egypt aims to boost its overall exports to EGP200 billion by 2014 to promote local industry and create more jobs.
The Agriculture Ministry is also working on plans to offer land for agro-business projects to Egyptian and foreign investors.-Reuters
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Dubai chamber F&B group sets roadmap for 2014
- Feminisation drive costs $213m to Saudi firms
- US interiors firm opens MEA base in Dubai
- Saudi 'spends $1.6bn on energy drinks'
- Farmer is jailed for raping housemaid in Bahrain
- Bahraini mother recounts firebombs agony
- Guard foils masked ATM robbers in Bahrain
- Bahraini on Arab world's 'most powerful women' list
- Latest kitchen technology at Sharjah event
- Number of HNWIs in Africa to double by 2023
- World boxing legend to visit Bahrain
- UAE road accidents decline by 23.5pc
- Top businesswomen in Bahrain honoured
- Death penalty sought for Bahrain terrorists
- Girl, 9, dies after fall from 8th floor in Abu Dhabi
- Lebanese café brand opens Dubai outlet
- Bahrain poultry firm told to step up safety
- Customer dies in Bahrain cafe brawl
- Bahraini boys hurt while planting bombs
- Philips, Ericsson launch LED street lighting
- DuBiotech to set up first Halal safety lab
- Jotun to supply coatings for Makkah Station
- Raytheon wins $655m Kuwait Patriot deal
- Alwaleed Foundation lights up 3 Saudi villages
- Poultry farms strike may trigger shortages in Bahrain
- Oman seals Victoria food security pact
- Saudi woman, 80, donates $133m to charity
- New Saudi clamp on energy drinks
- Outrage follows Bahrain killer bomb
- Improvised explosive device used in Bahrain attack