Yemen captures 2 Arab TV channels’ gear
Dubai, March 13, 2010
Two pan-Arab news channels said the Yemeni authorities had seized broadcasting equipment from their Sanaa bureaux by force because of their coverage of the growing unrest in Yemen's south.
A government official told state media that Qatar-based Al Jazeera television and the Saudi-owned channel Al Arabiya did not have proper authorisation for the equipment seized, and that it would be returned to them eventually.
Al Jazeera said Yemeni security forces had stormed its office in Sanaa after being warned over its coverage of a southern secessionist movement on which the government recently launched a major crackdown.
An official had telephoned Al Jazeera's office earlier on Thursday, saying measures would be taken if the channel covered a meeting of southern opposition leaders, Murad Hashim, the head of Al Jazeera's Sanaa bureau said on the channel's website.
Al Arabiya also reported that some of its broadcasting equipment had been confiscated by police on Thursday. Its bureau chief was questioned for two hours but then released, Nasser al-Sarami, head of media at Al Arabiya told Reuters.
'They are concerned about the way we cover what is going on in the south. They didn't give us a reason, but we believe this is the link,' Sarami said.
Thousands gathered for demonstrations across Yemen on Thursday to demand an easing of the crackdown in the south. Two people were shot dead as security forces tried to quash a separatist protest in a southern province.
Also on Thursday, Yemeni forces launched an attack to recapture a government building occupied by separatists in the south of the country, setting off a gunfight that killed two people.
Under international pressure to quell domestic unrest and focus its sights on al Qaeda, Yemen earlier this week offered to hold talks with southern separatists and hear their grievances.
The offer by President Ali Abdullah Saleh followed an escalation of violence on both sides in southern Yemen which left a trail of dead and wounded in recent weeks while insurgent violence elsewhere in the country has faded.
Thursday's demonstrators were calling for the military to withdraw from southern cities and for the government to halt a sweeping campaign of arrests.
Satellite television stations Al Jazeera and Al Arabiya are among the most widely watched news channels in the Arab world.
Al Arabiya has around 200 million viewers across the globe, Sarami told Reuters. – Reuters
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Death penalty sought for Bahrain terrorists
- Girl, 9, dies after fall from 8th floor in Abu Dhabi
- Lebanese café brand opens Dubai outlet
- Bahrain poultry firm told to step up safety
- Customer dies in Bahrain cafe brawl
- Bahraini boys hurt while planting bombs
- Philips, Ericsson launch LED street lighting
- DuBiotech to set up first Halal safety lab
- Jotun to supply coatings for Makkah Station
- Raytheon wins $655m Kuwait Patriot deal
- Alwaleed Foundation lights up 3 Saudi villages
- Poultry farms strike may trigger shortages in Bahrain
- Oman seals Victoria food security pact
- Saudi woman, 80, donates $133m to charity
- New Saudi clamp on energy drinks
- Outrage follows Bahrain killer bomb
- Improvised explosive device used in Bahrain attack
- 3 policemen killed in Bahrain blast
- Dammam-Al Ahsa train service starts
- Egypt wheat supplies enough to last until June
- Expat killed at Saudi workers' holding facility
- 80 global speakers for Doha summit on family
- Restaurant runs up $47,555 phone bill in 4 days
- NZ minister to visit Gulf states
- Public-private tie-ups ‘vital for agri growth’
- China firm wins solar power project in Amman
- 15,000 attend Bahrain garden show
- Omani firms shine at top food expo
- Bahrain to set up national food company
- Dozens hurt in gas leak at plant near Doha