Saudi prince stars in TV commercial
Riyadh, April 19, 2010
Prince Abdullah bin Meteb of Saudi Arabia has appeared in the lead role in a television commercial for the Kingdom’s second-biggest mobile phone operator Etihad Etisalat (Mobily).
The appearance of the young Saudi prince, a grandson of the king, in a television commercial has raised eyebrows in the country and has sparked a debate among diplomats and Saudis alike on what it could mean for the absolute monarchy.
The advert starring Prince Abdullah, a professional rider, and his sponsorship deal with Mobily, exposes discreet changes that have been affecting the Saudi royal family in recent years, said a Saudi analyst who is familiar with some royals.
'Passion for success drives us to take the lead, and we are like that at Mobily,' a voice in the commercial says to a shot of Prince Abdullah taking care of his horse.
The prince and his horse then jump a fence that appears to be on fire.
'This is the first time a Saudi prince appears in a television commercial,” said Humoud Al-Ghobaini, Mobily's vice president for corporate communications at Mobily.
Ghobaini declined to discussed details of the sponsorship deal, and Prince Abdullah could not be reached for comment. – Reuters
More Miscellaneous Stories
- US burger chain to open outlets in Saudi
- $350,000 raised at Dubai charity event
- 2013 deadliest for desperate migrants, says report
- Bahrain sees 25pc drop in fires
- 4,500 to exhibit at Dubai food show
- Northrop Grumman names new Saudi head
- 1,500 delegates at Ajman networking event
- Iran buys Indian raw sugar in rare deals
- US, Chinese warships narrowly avoid collision
- Gulf Air backs UN 'MY World' survey