NZ firm buys Saudi dairy factory for $32m
Dammam, April 27, 2010
New Zealand-based and farmer-owned Fonterra, the world’s largest dairy processor, recently acquired the Saudi New Zealand Milk Products (SNZMP) dairy factory in Dammam for SR120 million ($32 million).
New Zealand’s Minister of Trade Tim Groser attended the official inauguration ceremony at the site along with local officials.
“The GCC holds increasing importance for New Zealand, and our visit to the region aims to extend our existing trade relationships as well as investigate new opportunities for trade and investment in the region,” said Groser.
“The ceremony today represents yet another advance in expanding the reach of New Zealand products and expertise within this prosperous market,” he added.
Amr Farghal, managing director of Fonterra Middle East, Africa (MEA) and commonwealth of independent states (CIS) said the official ceremony marked the beginning of the next stage for Fonterra’s business in Saudi Arabia.
“Saudi Arabia is the cornerstone of our business in the GCC. With full ownership of our investment here, we will be able to secure the future manufacturing requirements needed to meet growing demand for high quality, New Zealand dairy in the region,” he said.
Fonterra previously owned a 49 per cent stake in the SNZMP dairy manufacturing factory with former joint-venture partner Saudia Dairy and Foodstuff Company (SADAFCO), which owned the remaining 51 per cent stake. – TradeArabia News Service
More Miscellaneous Stories
- More companies 'getting into CSR activities'
- Middle East grain import bills could rise
- New Emirati themed restaurant opens
- 4 UAE companies in race for agri innovation awards
- Stage set for Bahrain Animal Production Show
- Amphibious boats make global debut in Dubai
- Dubai chamber F&B group sets roadmap for 2014
- Feminisation drive costs $213m to Saudi firms
- US interiors firm opens MEA base in Dubai
- Saudi 'spends $1.6bn on energy drinks'
- Farmer is jailed for raping housemaid in Bahrain
- Bahraini mother recounts firebombs agony
- Guard foils masked ATM robbers in Bahrain
- Bahraini on Arab world's 'most powerful women' list
- Latest kitchen technology at Sharjah event
- Number of HNWIs in Africa to double by 2023
- World boxing legend to visit Bahrain
- UAE road accidents decline by 23.5pc
- Top businesswomen in Bahrain honoured
- Death penalty sought for Bahrain terrorists
- Girl, 9, dies after fall from 8th floor in Abu Dhabi
- Lebanese café brand opens Dubai outlet
- Bahrain poultry firm told to step up safety
- Customer dies in Bahrain cafe brawl
- Bahraini boys hurt while planting bombs
- Philips, Ericsson launch LED street lighting
- DuBiotech to set up first Halal safety lab
- Jotun to supply coatings for Makkah Station
- Raytheon wins $655m Kuwait Patriot deal
- Alwaleed Foundation lights up 3 Saudi villages