Yemen arrests 4 militants over officer's death
Sanaa, July 3, 2010
Yemen has arrested four militants over the drive-by killing of a senior intelligence officer, including two suspects that police believe are linked to al Qaeda, security sources said on Saturday.
Two motorcycle gunmen shot dead Colonel Saleh Amtheib on Thursday as he relaxed outside his home after lunch. He was the second security officer gunned down in the southern Abyan province in less than a month.
Two of those arrested over the attack were previously suspected of belonging to al Qaeda, while the others had been unknown to authorities, the sources said. Security forces also confiscated a gun they said was used in the shooting.
Authorities had initially been uncertain whom to blame for the killing, the sources said. The officer had participated in the government's battles against al Qaeda and also in a separate conflict with armed south Yemen separatists.
Yemen has stepped up security measures after accusing al Qaeda of a June 19 attack on the police intelligence building in the southern city of Aden, killing 11 people. – Reuters
More Miscellaneous Stories
- More companies 'getting into CSR activities'
- Middle East grain import bills could rise
- New Emirati themed restaurant opens
- 4 UAE companies in race for agri innovation awards
- Stage set for Bahrain Animal Production Show
- Amphibious boats make global debut in Dubai
- Dubai chamber F&B group sets roadmap for 2014
- Feminisation drive costs $213m to Saudi firms
- US interiors firm opens MEA base in Dubai
- Saudi 'spends $1.6bn on energy drinks'
- Farmer is jailed for raping housemaid in Bahrain
- Bahraini mother recounts firebombs agony
- Guard foils masked ATM robbers in Bahrain
- Bahraini on Arab world's 'most powerful women' list
- Latest kitchen technology at Sharjah event
- Number of HNWIs in Africa to double by 2023
- World boxing legend to visit Bahrain
- UAE road accidents decline by 23.5pc
- Top businesswomen in Bahrain honoured
- Death penalty sought for Bahrain terrorists
- Girl, 9, dies after fall from 8th floor in Abu Dhabi
- Lebanese café brand opens Dubai outlet
- Bahrain poultry firm told to step up safety
- Customer dies in Bahrain cafe brawl
- Bahraini boys hurt while planting bombs
- Philips, Ericsson launch LED street lighting
- DuBiotech to set up first Halal safety lab
- Jotun to supply coatings for Makkah Station
- Raytheon wins $655m Kuwait Patriot deal
- Alwaleed Foundation lights up 3 Saudi villages