$43m Bahrain amphitheatre on way
Manama, July 19, 2010
Work on a new BD16.2 million ($42.97 million), state-of-the-art national amphitheatre will be completed by next year, it was announced.
Cyprus-based Cybroc Company won the tender to build the project, which will feature a state-of-the-art main auditorium capable of accommodating 1,000 people as well as various multi-purpose halls.
The company yesterday co-signed a memorandum of understanding for the project with the Works Ministry in Manama.
The theatre will be located north of the Bahrain National Museum lake, covering an area of 11,869sqm, said Works Minister in charge of Electricity and Water Authority (EWA) Fahmi Al Jowder.
He said that the project was estimated to be completed by July 2012, in time to mark Manama as the Arab Culture Capital.
The opening will also mark Bahrain celebrating two other global events.
In 2011, the country will host the World Heritage Committee, an offshoot of the Paris-based Unesco. It will also be declared Capital of Arab Tourism for 2013.
'The project is designed according to world architectural standards,' said Al Jowder.
He hailed the Tender Board's efforts in monitoring and awarding the tenders of the country's projects.
'It has been very efficient in settling tenders and making fast final decisions, taking into account technical and financial requirements,' said Al Jowder.
His Majesty King Hamad officially launched the landmark project last month during a ceremony at the Bahrain National Museum.-TradeArabia News Service
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Equity firm buys into Algerian Pepsi bottler
- Mother recounts vice den ordeal in Bahrain
- More companies 'getting into CSR activities'
- Middle East grain import bills could rise
- New Emirati themed restaurant opens
- 4 UAE companies in race for agri innovation awards
- Stage set for Bahrain Animal Production Show
- Amphibious boats make global debut in Dubai
- Dubai chamber F&B group sets roadmap for 2014
- Feminisation drive costs $213m to Saudi firms
- US interiors firm opens MEA base in Dubai
- Saudi 'spends $1.6bn on energy drinks'
- Farmer is jailed for raping housemaid in Bahrain
- Bahraini mother recounts firebombs agony
- Guard foils masked ATM robbers in Bahrain
- Bahraini on Arab world's 'most powerful women' list
- Latest kitchen technology at Sharjah event
- Number of HNWIs in Africa to double by 2023
- World boxing legend to visit Bahrain
- UAE road accidents decline by 23.5pc
- Top businesswomen in Bahrain honoured
- Death penalty sought for Bahrain terrorists
- Girl, 9, dies after fall from 8th floor in Abu Dhabi
- Lebanese café brand opens Dubai outlet
- Bahrain poultry firm told to step up safety
- Customer dies in Bahrain cafe brawl
- Bahraini boys hurt while planting bombs
- Philips, Ericsson launch LED street lighting
- DuBiotech to set up first Halal safety lab
- Jotun to supply coatings for Makkah Station