Agthia in production deal with French group
Dubai, August 5, 2010
UAE-based Agthia Group, a leading FMCG firm, has signed a franchise agreement with Yoplait Group of France for exclusive rights to manufacture and distribute fresh dairy products under the Yoplait brand.
The manufacture and distribution would start in UAE and expand eventually in the rest of GCC.
Agthia will commence manufacturing and distribution of Yoplait branded products by the end of 2011, joining Yoplait’s network of franchised partners like General Mills in the US, National Foods Ltd in Australia, Ultima Foods in Canada, and Bing Grae in Korea who have been manufacturing and distributing Yoplait branded products, it said in a statement.
Yoplait is the number two brand world-wide in the fresh dairy product category, with a number one position in key markets like the US and Australia, and a number two position in France, Canada, Korea, and Ireland.
Through its franchise system, over the past 40 years, Yoplait has developed the brand globally with well established local partners. Yoplait branded products are currently marketed in over 75 countries.
Rashed Mubarak Al Hajeri, chairman of the Agthia Board said: “With the goal of becoming UAE’s leading food and beverage company, we believe Agthia’s entry into the dairy business category is in line with its expansion and diversification strategy.”
“We are happy to welcome the global brand of Yoplait to the Agthia Group as well as to Abu Dhabi and the region.”
Ilias Assimakopoulos, Agthia CEO, added: “Yoplait is an ideal strategic fit for our entry model into the dairy segment. Yoplait brings global brand recognition, extensive international expertise and know-how in marketing, technical and R&D areas, and continuous access to Yoplait’s network of partners all over the world.”
“We are wholeheartedly committed to providing food and beverages that help families lead lives full of vitality.”
“Dairy is an important part of the people’s diet in this region and is considered essential for a nutritional and healthy diet. Beyond the traditional segment of plain yogurt and laban, we believe there is room for innovative new categories for kids, teenagers, and adults,” he added.
Yoplait CEO Lucien Fa said: “Yoplait is the number two brand in fresh dairy product market world-wide. International development is strategic for us, therefore we chose Agthia as a partner in the GCC.”
“We believe Agthia has a solid local footprint and a professional management team and we share a common vision of business perspectives. We have no doubt this new relationship will be efficient to develop the presence of our brand in the GCC region,” Lucien Fa added. – TradeArabia News Service
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Dubai chamber F&B group sets roadmap for 2014
- Feminisation drive costs $213m to Saudi firms
- US interiors firm opens MEA base in Dubai
- Saudi 'spends $1.6bn on energy drinks'
- Farmer is jailed for raping housemaid in Bahrain
- Bahraini mother recounts firebombs agony
- Guard foils masked ATM robbers in Bahrain
- Bahraini on Arab world's 'most powerful women' list
- Latest kitchen technology at Sharjah event
- Number of HNWIs in Africa to double by 2023
- World boxing legend to visit Bahrain
- UAE road accidents decline by 23.5pc
- Top businesswomen in Bahrain honoured
- Death penalty sought for Bahrain terrorists
- Girl, 9, dies after fall from 8th floor in Abu Dhabi
- Lebanese café brand opens Dubai outlet
- Bahrain poultry firm told to step up safety
- Customer dies in Bahrain cafe brawl
- Bahraini boys hurt while planting bombs
- Philips, Ericsson launch LED street lighting
- DuBiotech to set up first Halal safety lab
- Jotun to supply coatings for Makkah Station
- Raytheon wins $655m Kuwait Patriot deal
- Alwaleed Foundation lights up 3 Saudi villages
- Poultry farms strike may trigger shortages in Bahrain
- Oman seals Victoria food security pact
- Saudi woman, 80, donates $133m to charity
- New Saudi clamp on energy drinks
- Outrage follows Bahrain killer bomb
- Improvised explosive device used in Bahrain attack