Hostage killed, five freed in Iran shootout
Tehran, September 18, 2010
Two people including a hostage were killed during an operation to free six Iranians taken captive in a restive region of southeastern Iran, Mehr news agency reported on Saturday.
The other hostages were freed, Mehr quoted the commander of the Guards' ground forces, Mohammad Pakpour as saying. The other person killed was a hostage-taker, he said. Some people were injured, the report said, but gave no details.
The six were seized from a bus on Thursday morning. Pakpour said Jundollah, a Sunni rebel group, was behind the abduction of five soldiers and a bank employee in Sistan-Baluchestan, an impoverished Iranian province bordering Pakistan and Afghanistan.
'It seems that there is a remainder of the Rigi group whose purpose is to scare people and cause division in the area and to commit extortion,' he said, referring to the former rebel leader, Abdolmalek Rigi, who was executed in June.
Jundollah killed at least 28 people, including Revolutionary Guards members, in a suicide bombing at a Shi'ite mosque in the province in July, an attack it said was a response to Rigi's execution.
Iran says Jundollah has links to the Sunni Islamist al Qaeda and in the past has accused Pakistan, Britain and the United States of backing Jundollah to create instability in the southeast of predominantly Shi'ite Iran.-Reuters
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Equity firm buys into Algerian Pepsi bottler
- Mother recounts vice den ordeal in Bahrain
- More companies 'getting into CSR activities'
- Middle East grain import bills could rise
- New Emirati themed restaurant opens
- 4 UAE companies in race for agri innovation awards
- Stage set for Bahrain Animal Production Show
- Amphibious boats make global debut in Dubai
- Dubai chamber F&B group sets roadmap for 2014
- Feminisation drive costs $213m to Saudi firms
- US interiors firm opens MEA base in Dubai
- Saudi 'spends $1.6bn on energy drinks'
- Farmer is jailed for raping housemaid in Bahrain
- Bahraini mother recounts firebombs agony
- Guard foils masked ATM robbers in Bahrain
- Bahraini on Arab world's 'most powerful women' list
- Latest kitchen technology at Sharjah event
- Number of HNWIs in Africa to double by 2023
- World boxing legend to visit Bahrain
- UAE road accidents decline by 23.5pc
- Top businesswomen in Bahrain honoured
- Death penalty sought for Bahrain terrorists
- Girl, 9, dies after fall from 8th floor in Abu Dhabi
- Lebanese café brand opens Dubai outlet
- Bahrain poultry firm told to step up safety
- Customer dies in Bahrain cafe brawl
- Bahraini boys hurt while planting bombs
- Philips, Ericsson launch LED street lighting
- DuBiotech to set up first Halal safety lab
- Jotun to supply coatings for Makkah Station