Press pillar of democracy says Bahrain King
Manama, May 3, 2011
A free, fair and independent Press is the main pillar of democratic evolution, a fundamental human right and an active partner in safeguarding the nation's security and stability, His Majesty King Hamad of Bahrain said last night.
Freedom of the Press is at the heart of Bahrain's reforms project, he said in a statement marking World Press Freedom Day, celebrated today.
He expressed his deep appreciation and pride of Bahrainis working as journalists, including those in the Information Affairs Authority, for doing their duty during the recent crisis with utmost sincerity and patriotism.
He stressed that media should not be used as a means to incite violence, vandalism and terrorism, instead it should respect professional ethics.
He expressed confidence that the Bahraini Press family will adhere to principles of the Constitution and the National Action Charter, address national issues with objectivity and reject sectarian divisions.
Freedom of the Press and the media will always be the identity of the comprehensive reforms project and modernisation, His Majesty vowed.
He promised all media men and women in the kingdom that their freedoms will be protected and all constitutional rights guaranteed.
His Majesty also praised the commitment of Bahrain Journalists Association to protect its members and media's rights to voice their views without any pressure or threat. - TradeArabia News Service
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Qatar 'interested in Eurofighter, Rafale jets'
- Dubai gold refiner wins ISO certification
- KKR among bidders for Saudi fast food chain
- UK denies role in Bahrain’s security action
- Wadi makes splash in booming MICE market
- Alba donates aid to Bahrain’s elderly
- Ethiopia, Egypt tone down talk of war over Nile dam
- Tougher food marketing needed to cut obesity: WHO
- Playnation to host Hip Hop contest
- Bahrain alerts on waste food during Ramadan