Dubai foils bid to smuggle drugs
Dubai , May 24, 2011
Dubai Customs said it has successfully foiled three separate attempts to smuggle drugs concealed in lady handbags inside parcels in transit at Dubai Cargo Village.
A total of 3kg of heroin and cocaine were seized in the operation, said Omar Ahmed Almuhairi, senior manager of Air Cargo Operations Department at Dubai Customs.
'The parcels containing bags and clothes coming from an Asian country and bound for an European destination raised doubts during the routine check. On careful examination, the officials found something fishy about the stuffed lady handbags,' he explained.
'Immediately the officials scanned the bags and X-ray machines showed anomalies in different areas inside the shipment. On searching the bags manually, the officials found the drugs hidden in a separate socket,' Almuhairi added.
Within the framework of joint co-ordination with Dubai Police General Directorate of Antic-Narcotic Office, all the three parcels were confiscated for further action.-TradeArabia News Service
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Bahrain seizes $7.2m drugs in boat raids
- UAE pulls out of $9.8bn Eurofighter deal
- Saudi's inaugural food expo 'a big hit'
- One million Gazans in need of food aid says UN
- US burger chain to open outlets in Saudi
- $350,000 raised at Dubai charity event
- 2013 deadliest for desperate migrants, says report
- Bahrain sees 25pc drop in fires
- 4,500 to exhibit at Dubai food show
- Northrop Grumman names new Saudi head