Dubai foils bid to smuggle drugs
Dubai , May 24, 2011
Dubai Customs said it has successfully foiled three separate attempts to smuggle drugs concealed in lady handbags inside parcels in transit at Dubai Cargo Village.
A total of 3kg of heroin and cocaine were seized in the operation, said Omar Ahmed Almuhairi, senior manager of Air Cargo Operations Department at Dubai Customs.
'The parcels containing bags and clothes coming from an Asian country and bound for an European destination raised doubts during the routine check. On careful examination, the officials found something fishy about the stuffed lady handbags,' he explained.
'Immediately the officials scanned the bags and X-ray machines showed anomalies in different areas inside the shipment. On searching the bags manually, the officials found the drugs hidden in a separate socket,' Almuhairi added.
Within the framework of joint co-ordination with Dubai Police General Directorate of Antic-Narcotic Office, all the three parcels were confiscated for further action.-TradeArabia News Service
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Mubadala unit developing new cabin concept
- Iran denies link to spying ring in Saudi
- Turkey shuts Syria border after bombings
- Enrolment for tourism youth summer camp opens
- Bahrain MPs vote to ban pork
- Kuwaiti touristic website introduced
- Lebanese firm to invest $800m in Sudan
- Interface showcases new collection
- Saudi woman director wins top GFF award
- Bahrain food firms gear up for Ramadan