Doha mulling 2020 Olympics bid: Asian chief
Berlin, July 13, 2011
Qatar is interested in hosting the 2020 summer Games, Olympic Council of Asia President Sheikh Ahmad Al-Fahad Al-Sabah said on Wednesday.
With less than two months before the deadline for applications only Rome has been officially confirmed, with Spain's Madrid unveiling yet another bid on Wednesday that still needs to be rubberstamped by city legislators in a week.
'I hear Doha has interest,' Sheikh Ahmad told Japan's Kyodo news agency. 'This is what I'm hearing, but we don't have anything officially announced yet.'
The emirate won the right to host the 2022 soccer World Cup last December but have been forced to issue several statements denying allegations of corruption associated with their surprise winning bid.
Tokyo and Istanbul are also considering a run for the 2020 Games. – Reuters
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Gulf Air backs UN 'MY World' survey
- South Korean group in $1.1bn Iraq jet deal
- Northrop Grumman inks Saudi training deal
- RJ, Jordan Society sign strategic deal
- 125 exhibitors for Sharjah halal expo
- SRB to oversee UK firm’s shari’a compliance drive
- SMEs conference opens in Bahrain
- Nasa finds evidence of freshwater lake in Mars
- Diamond to launch UK café brand in UAE
- Mideast super-rich's wealth surges to $354bn