UAE body opens Arabic domain registration
Abu Dhabi, September 20, 2011
UAE’s Telecommunication Regulatory Authority (TRA) recently opened registration in the Arabic domain name (DotEmarat) for special names.
The registration, which will be open until the October 3, can be done through accredited registrars.
In line with its objective to promote the usage of Arabic language in e-addresses, and in a step that reflects its endeavor to continue its initiative related to domain names (DotEmarat), the registration launch for special names follows the approval obtained from Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) in January 2010.
“Since we acquired approval from ICANN regarding the domain (DotEmarat), we have set a timeline for ourselves to promote this domain name across all sectors,” said Muhammad Nasser Al Ghanim, director general of TRA.
“We started with the governmental sector, then with trademarks, and now we have come to the special names phase, which demonstrate that we are on target with our plan, and we are achieving rapid progress in this regard.”
“The registration will enable users to seize the opportunity of booking their own domain name, as the availability for names is still vast. The Arabic domain name indeed provides ease in memorizing, writing, and circulating the names in Arabic, in addition to its distinct look on the browser when written in Arabic,” he added.
This registration will provide users with a wide range of options, and a portal that will allow users who surf the net, especially the ones who are not familiar with English, to find domains easily.
The names that will be registered can be simple and direct such as: Hotels Dot Emarat, Autos Dot Emarat, Search Dot Emarat, Shopping Dot Emarat, Sports Dot Emarat, etc. Individuals who are interested in registering their domain names can visit the Arabic link, a statement said.
Al Ghanim further noted: “One of the main objectives sought by TRA through promoting and deploying the domain name (DotEmarat), is to reach to a wide spectrum of users of this domain, and to allow Arabic speakers to achieve the maximum benefit from the internet, its diverse channels and enormous capabilities, by providing a bridge that allows them to cross language barriers that used to be an obstacle to them.”
The Arabic domain name (DotEmarat) is an unprecedented achievement on the regional level that makes the UAE one of four countries in the world to launch a domain name in its national language following the approval of ICANN. – TradeArabia News Service
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Middle East grain import bills could rise
- New Emirati themed restaurant opens
- 4 UAE companies in race for agri innovation awards
- Stage set for Bahrain Animal Production Show
- Amphibious boats make global debut in Dubai
- Dubai chamber F&B group sets roadmap for 2014
- Feminisation drive costs $213m to Saudi firms
- US interiors firm opens MEA base in Dubai
- Saudi 'spends $1.6bn on energy drinks'
- Farmer is jailed for raping housemaid in Bahrain
- Bahraini mother recounts firebombs agony
- Guard foils masked ATM robbers in Bahrain
- Bahraini on Arab world's 'most powerful women' list
- Latest kitchen technology at Sharjah event
- Number of HNWIs in Africa to double by 2023
- World boxing legend to visit Bahrain
- UAE road accidents decline by 23.5pc
- Top businesswomen in Bahrain honoured
- Death penalty sought for Bahrain terrorists
- Girl, 9, dies after fall from 8th floor in Abu Dhabi
- Lebanese café brand opens Dubai outlet
- Bahrain poultry firm told to step up safety
- Customer dies in Bahrain cafe brawl
- Bahraini boys hurt while planting bombs
- Philips, Ericsson launch LED street lighting
- DuBiotech to set up first Halal safety lab
- Jotun to supply coatings for Makkah Station
- Raytheon wins $655m Kuwait Patriot deal
- Alwaleed Foundation lights up 3 Saudi villages
- Poultry farms strike may trigger shortages in Bahrain