Oman storm kills 9, causes $50m loss
Muscat, November 3, 2011
At least nine people in Oman were killed and 200 injured after a tropical storm swept through the Arabian Peninsula state, causing at least $50 million-worth of damage, officials said on Thursday.
The storm, which began on Tuesday, flooded many parts of the country, prompting 60 patients to be evacuated from two hospitals by government helicopters.
"Nine died in the storm and about 200 were injured. In some parts of the country, the water level was six feet (about 1.80 metres) high," a rescue services spokesman said. The two hospitals had to be closed.
"My estimate is that it will cost no less than 20 million rials ($50 million) to put them right," a doctor said.
Witnesses said cars were swept away as rainwater flooded major motorways. Some drivers scrambled to the rooftops of their cars to escape the rising water.
The meteorological office said the storm would continue until Saturday. Oman was hit by cyclone Phet last year, which killed about 50 people in different parts of the sultanate. - Reuters
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Diamond to launch UK café brand in UAE
- Mideast super-rich's wealth surges to $354bn
- Focus on anti-trafficking co-operation
- 300 brands on show at Saudi Foodex
- Bridge project at US base to be ready soon
- DuPont in sustainability goals success
- Abu Dhabi Police, Royal Jet ink agreement
- Jotun opens warehouse in Dammam
- RAK Ceramics deploys top SAP software
- GCAA warns on helium balloon dangers