Bahrain’s terror plotters named
Manama, November 14, 2011
Two alleged masterminds of a foiled terror plot that targeted key locations in Bahrain were named yesterday and accused of having links with the Revolutionary Guard and Basij resistance forces in Iran.
The Gulf Daily News, our sister newspaper, reported yesterday that five men had been arrested in connection with the plot with the help of Qatari security services.
The case is now being investigated by the Public Prosecution, which named Bahrainis Abdulraouf Al Shayeb and Ali Mushaima as being among the cell's ringleaders.
Both men are abroad and are known to have operated from the UK, where they are believed to be currently.
Public Prosecution spokesman Osama Al Uffi told a Press conference yesterday that four of the suspects were arrested in Qatar, while on their way to receive training in explosives and firearms.
They were handed over to Bahraini authorities on November 4 and the fifth suspect was later arrested in Bahrain. "According to the confession of some of the suspects, Abdulraouf Al Shayeb and Ali Mushaima, who are living aboard, are the ones who formed the group to carry out terror acts in Bahrain," said Al Uffi.
The group was allegedly planning attacks on the Interior Ministry headquarters in Manama, the Saudi Embassy in the Diplomatic Area, King Fahad Causeway and other sensitive locations, which are not yet identified.
The five men in custody have been remanded to 60 days while investigations continue. They have been charged with forming a terror cell, obstructing government institutions from functioning, breaching public order and jeopardising Bahrain's public security and territorial integrity. – TradeArabia News Service