Egypt to issue international rice tenders
Cairo, December 8, 2011
Egypt's main government grain buyer said on Thursday it was considering issuing international tenders to buy rice if local producers continue stocking up the commodity.
'We are issuing a tender next week to buy both local and imported rice that is already in the country through private importers,' Nomani Nomani, vice chairman of the General Authority for Supply Commodities (GASC), told Reuters.
'International tenders will be the next step because if I import directly I can get better prices,' he said.
Nomani said international tenders would be issued should local traders continue to store their rice in order to push up prices. – Reuters
More Miscellaneous Stories
- BAE Systems falls after UAE halts fighter talks
- GCC to set up 100,000-strong security force
- Bahrain seizes $7.2m drugs in boat raids
- UAE pulls out of $9.8bn Eurofighter deal
- Saudi's inaugural food expo 'a big hit'
- One million Gazans in need of food aid says UN
- US burger chain to open outlets in Saudi
- $350,000 raised at Dubai charity event
- 2013 deadliest for desperate migrants, says report
- Bahrain sees 25pc drop in fires