US 'not seeking confrontation over Hormuz'
Washington, January 4, 2012
The Pentagon said it was not seeking a confrontation with Iran over transit in the Strait of Hormuz, even as it dismissed an Iranian military threat meant to keep US aircraft carriers out of the Gulf.
"Our interest is in safe and secure maritime passage for ships transiting the Strait of Hormuz. That is our desire," said Pentagon spokesman George Little.
"No one in this government seeks confrontation over the Strait of Hormuz. It is important to lower the temperature."
The US military earlier on Tuesday said it would keep sending aircraft carrier strike groups through the Gulf for "regularly scheduled movements" and in accordance with international law. - Reuters
More Miscellaneous Stories
- SRB to oversee UK firm’s shari’a compliance drive
- SMEs conference opens in Bahrain
- Nasa finds evidence of freshwater lake in Mars
- Diamond to launch UK café brand in UAE
- Mideast super-rich's wealth surges to $354bn
- Focus on anti-trafficking co-operation
- 300 brands on show at Saudi Foodex
- Bridge project at US base to be ready soon
- DuPont in sustainability goals success
- Abu Dhabi Police, Royal Jet ink agreement