Hit Emirati film set for US debut
Abu Dhabi, January 4, 2012
Sea Shadow, the first Emirati film from Image Nation, Abu Dhabi will be hitting US shores this month at the prestigious annual Palm Springs International Film Festival in California.
Sea Shadow is a quiet coming of age story which follows teenagers Mansour and Kaltham as they struggle with tradition and convention in their journey towards adulthood.
The film was shot entirely in the UAE with the majority of scenes taking place in Ras Al Khaimah, and was released to audiences in the GCC in November.
After a sold out world premiere at the Abu Dhabi Film Festival and much critical acclaim following its UAE release, Sea Shadow has been officially selected to participate in Palm Springs festival’s Arabian Nights showcase, with two screenings on January 12 and 14.
Featuring eleven new films from around the Middle East, the showcase highlights the emergence of exciting new filmmaking talents from across the region.
Emirati Director, Nawaf Al-Janahi, who will be at the festival to present the film, said, “After the success of Sea Shadow in the GCC, I am excited to present the film to a new, international audience.'
'Palm Springs is one of the largest film festivals in North America, with a lineup of new and celebrated international features. It is a great honor for Sea Shadow to be included in the 2012 selection, and I look forward to seeing the audience response,' he added.
Sea Shadow was developed and produced by Image Nation Abu Dhabi, the local division of Image Nation.
A subsidiary of Abu Dhabi Media, Image Nation is committed to developing a film industry in the UAE and encouraging the growth of Emirati filmmakers by producing films with Emirati content and talent.
Mohammed Al-Otaiba, head of Image Nation Abu Dhabi said: 'It is a source of great pride that the first movie off our Emirati slate has been selected to participate in the Palm Springs.'
'It is excellent to receive recognition from such an established international film body, renowned for its wide ranging selection of highly anticipated and diverse films.
The festival, taking place from January 5 to16, is the perfect fit for Sea Shadow to debut to American audiences, and we wish it every success there,' he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Mother recounts vice den ordeal in Bahrain
- More companies 'getting into CSR activities'
- Middle East grain import bills could rise
- New Emirati themed restaurant opens
- 4 UAE companies in race for agri innovation awards
- Stage set for Bahrain Animal Production Show
- Amphibious boats make global debut in Dubai
- Dubai chamber F&B group sets roadmap for 2014
- Feminisation drive costs $213m to Saudi firms
- US interiors firm opens MEA base in Dubai
- Saudi 'spends $1.6bn on energy drinks'
- Farmer is jailed for raping housemaid in Bahrain
- Bahraini mother recounts firebombs agony
- Guard foils masked ATM robbers in Bahrain
- Bahraini on Arab world's 'most powerful women' list
- Latest kitchen technology at Sharjah event
- Number of HNWIs in Africa to double by 2023
- World boxing legend to visit Bahrain
- UAE road accidents decline by 23.5pc
- Top businesswomen in Bahrain honoured
- Death penalty sought for Bahrain terrorists
- Girl, 9, dies after fall from 8th floor in Abu Dhabi
- Lebanese café brand opens Dubai outlet
- Bahrain poultry firm told to step up safety
- Customer dies in Bahrain cafe brawl
- Bahraini boys hurt while planting bombs
- Philips, Ericsson launch LED street lighting
- DuBiotech to set up first Halal safety lab
- Jotun to supply coatings for Makkah Station
- Raytheon wins $655m Kuwait Patriot deal