Britain pulls plug on Iran's Press TV
London, January 21, 2012
Iranian news channel Press TV disappeared from British television screens on Friday after Britain's independent media regulator revoked its licence.
Press TV said the move was politically motivated but regulator Ofcom denied it was acting at the British government's behest and said the broadcaster had broken licensing rules.
Britain has been a focus of Iranian ire over steps to tighten sanctions over Iran's disputed nuclear programme.
Britain shut Iran's embassy in London and expelled all its staff in November after its embassy in the Iranian capital Tehran was overrun by a crowd angry at British sanctions.
Ofcom said its decision was based on Press TV's failure to declare that Tehran rather than London was its editorial base when it was granted the licence. Press TV is a 24-hour news channel owned by Iran's state, available via satellite around the world and on the Internet.
Its English-language service was removed from Sky TV's satellite platform on Friday as a result of the decision. It will still be available online.
Britain's Foreign Office said it was not involved in the decision but had been concerned about allegations that Press TV had broadcast forced confessions from detainees. Press TV said on its website the move was 'a clear example of censorship'.
The story led Press TV's news bulletins where its reporter said the move appeared politically motivated, aimed at silencing a broadcaster that had focused in part on the failings of British domestic and foreign policy.
'Ofcom cannot claim that it is not a part of the British government ... and it acts exactly in line with the policies of the British government. Otherwise, it would not be possible to prevent an international network and an alternative voice in Britain (from broadcasting),' Press TV's newsroom director Hamidreza Emadi told state television.
'This action has not been successful in stopping the activities of Press TV. We have tested and come up with several ways to broadcast our programmes for our viewers,' he added. - Reuters
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Bahrain SMEs 'on the verge of closure'
- Unrest victim's kin stranded at Bahrain airport
- Egypt food subsidy bill to total $4.3bn this year
- Entrepreneurship festival targets SMEs
- Equity firm buys into Algerian Pepsi bottler
- Mother recounts vice den ordeal in Bahrain
- More companies 'getting into CSR activities'
- Middle East grain import bills could rise
- New Emirati themed restaurant opens
- 4 UAE companies in race for agri innovation awards
- Stage set for Bahrain Animal Production Show
- Amphibious boats make global debut in Dubai
- Dubai chamber F&B group sets roadmap for 2014
- Feminisation drive costs $213m to Saudi firms
- US interiors firm opens MEA base in Dubai
- Saudi 'spends $1.6bn on energy drinks'
- Farmer is jailed for raping housemaid in Bahrain
- Bahraini mother recounts firebombs agony
- Guard foils masked ATM robbers in Bahrain
- Bahraini on Arab world's 'most powerful women' list
- Latest kitchen technology at Sharjah event
- Number of HNWIs in Africa to double by 2023
- World boxing legend to visit Bahrain
- UAE road accidents decline by 23.5pc
- Top businesswomen in Bahrain honoured
- Death penalty sought for Bahrain terrorists
- Girl, 9, dies after fall from 8th floor in Abu Dhabi
- Lebanese café brand opens Dubai outlet
- Bahrain poultry firm told to step up safety
- Customer dies in Bahrain cafe brawl