Manama heritage festival to launch today
Manama, February 2, 2012
A ceremony marking the official launch of the 'Manama, Capital of Arab Culture 2012' will be held today (February 2) in Bahrain.
His Majesty King Hamad will today patronise the event at Bahrain National Museum highlighting the kingdom's heritage and modernisation, will start at 6.30pm and include a musical programme 'The Pearl Route'.
Arab culture ministers or their representatives, leading media personalities and Arab intellectuals will attend.
'I am looking forward to the ceremony,' said Culture Minister Shaikha Mai bint Mohammed Al Khalifa.
She said the success of the ceremony in particular and the ministry's functions in general is due to the King's support for cultural activities to promote national identity.
Renowned Egyptian maestro Salim Sahab, the Bulgarian National Radio Orchestra and popular Bahraini singer Hind, whose lyrics have been written by celebrated poet Hassan Kamal, will take part in the musical programme.
The audience will also be treated to an exclusive performance by the Galali Popular Arts Group and the Ballard School of Performing Arts, with music composed by Julene Siddique.
'Manama, Capital of Arab Culture 2012' is an innovative programme for dialogue and exchange and will continue throughout the year with a different theme each month.
January was the month of art and featured exhibitions by the Institut du Monde Arabe and Jordan's Royal Society of Fine Arts.
February celebrates architecture by engaging Arab audience to examine the use of public space, with a pioneering competition for the development of the Bab Al Bahrain Square. A panel of international jurists and specialists in the field will judge the winners.
From next month, the programme will highlight other key sectors of the cultural field, including design, theatre and the environment, targeting local and regional audience. – TradeArabia News Service
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Middle East grain import bills could rise
- New Emirati themed restaurant opens
- 4 UAE companies in race for agri innovation awards
- Stage set for Bahrain Animal Production Show
- Amphibious boats make global debut in Dubai
- Dubai chamber F&B group sets roadmap for 2014
- Feminisation drive costs $213m to Saudi firms
- US interiors firm opens MEA base in Dubai
- Saudi 'spends $1.6bn on energy drinks'
- Farmer is jailed for raping housemaid in Bahrain
- Bahraini mother recounts firebombs agony
- Guard foils masked ATM robbers in Bahrain
- Bahraini on Arab world's 'most powerful women' list
- Latest kitchen technology at Sharjah event
- Number of HNWIs in Africa to double by 2023
- World boxing legend to visit Bahrain
- UAE road accidents decline by 23.5pc
- Top businesswomen in Bahrain honoured
- Death penalty sought for Bahrain terrorists
- Girl, 9, dies after fall from 8th floor in Abu Dhabi
- Lebanese café brand opens Dubai outlet
- Bahrain poultry firm told to step up safety
- Customer dies in Bahrain cafe brawl
- Bahraini boys hurt while planting bombs
- Philips, Ericsson launch LED street lighting
- DuBiotech to set up first Halal safety lab
- Jotun to supply coatings for Makkah Station
- Raytheon wins $655m Kuwait Patriot deal
- Alwaleed Foundation lights up 3 Saudi villages
- Poultry farms strike may trigger shortages in Bahrain