Monday 22 September 2014
 
»
 
»
Story

Kuwait court suspends newspaper

Kuwait, March 14, 2012

A Kuwaiti court suspended publication of the privately-owned Al-Dar newspaper for three months on Tuesday, ruling it was guilty of inciting sectarian strife, the paper's editor-in-chief said. 

The court also told Abdul Hussein Al-Sultan, the paper's editor-in-chief, that he had to pay a 1,000 Kuwaiti dinar ($3,600) fine or face six months in prison, he told Reuters by telephone.

The newspaper was briefly ordered to cease publication earlier this year. But this was the first time it had been forced to shut down for an extended period and that its editor had been threatened with jail, Al-Sultan said. He said the newspaper planned to appeal the ruling.

Kuwait's Information Ministry had brought 135 cases against the newspaper in the past three years, he added. The ministry was not immediately available for comment late on Tuesday. - Reuters




Tags: Kuwait | newspaper | Al Dar |

More Miscellaneous Stories

calendarCalendar of Events

Ads