Bahrain minister vows security
Manama, March 30, 2012
Bahrain's Interior Minister last night confirmed that security had been restored to the Kingdom, but he was concerned about continuing attacks against his officers.
He described the them as terrorist confrontations, adding that courts had handed out 760 convictions for such attacks.
This came as minister Lieutenant-General Shaikh Rashid bin Abdulla Al Khalifa met MPs to discuss the security situation in Bahrain and his ministry's efforts to maintain law and order.
Present were parliament chairman Khalifa Al Dhahrani, a number of MPs and a Public Security delegation led by chief, Major-General Tariq Al Hassan.
Shaikh Rashid said there is psychological stability despite sporadic incidents.
He disclosed that the ministry had received some comments from MPs and citizens about problems they are facing because of the use of tear gas and individual violations by some police personnel in using them.
The Interior Minister said he had received a letter from Al Wefaq National Islamic Society in this regard, adding that the matter is under study.
However, he pointed out that the safety of citizens and residents in areas affected by rioting and vandalism were top priority.
He said the ministry aims for the security of people and not to harm them in any way as the safety of all is a basic duty of Public Security personnel.
Shaikh Rashid slammed media campaigns against Bahrain that aimed to damage the country's image and change facts. Freedom of expression is protected by the Constitution but it must not violate the rights of others, the minister said.
Shaikh Rashid affirmed the ministry's commitment to implementing the recommendations of the Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry.
He also reviewed modernisation and training plans for security forces, which aim to benefit from international expertise and enforce a code of conduct based on international standards. - TradeArabia News Service