Saboteurs 'receiving orders from abroad'
Manama, May 8, 2012
An illegal network of saboteurs has been carrying out attacks in Bahrain based on instructions from abroad, said sources involved in investigating attacks against policemen and collecting evidence.
Rioters in trouble hotspots co-ordinate with a local ringleader who passes on directions from the London-based outlawed opposition group the Bahrain Freedom Movement, the sources said.
The group is headed by Dr Saeed Al Shehabi, who was jailed for life in absentia for being part of a 21-man plot to overthrow the government.
Another key member is Ali Mushaima who was convicted in absentia and jailed for 15 years in the same case.
Mushaima and Moosa Al Sitrawi attracted global attention last month when they occupied the roof of the Bahrain Embassy in London for more than 24 hours.
The protest only ended after British police scrambled phone signals through which they had been receiving instructions.
Mushaima was earlier named by Bahraini authorities as being one of two men accused of masterminding a plot that allegedly targeted key locations in Bahrain and had links to Iran's Revolutionary Guard and the Basij force.
His father Hassan was earlier found guilty of being part of the 21-man plot and jailed for life.
The source said Dr Al Shehabi and Mr Mushaima continue to pass on instructions to saboteurs in Bahrain who are part of the anonymous February 14 Coalition group.
"In every village for every 15 people there is a leader, who is in constant touch with other leaders in different areas," he said.
"All these leaders report to a common person based in Bahrain, who shares information with Bahrain Freedom Movement members."
The source, who has collected evidence based on investigations since last year, added that to garner support, some youths were paid money by the ringleaders of illegal protests.
"They pay these young men money starting from BD5 ($13.26) to attack policemen by stones, homemade weapons and Molotov cocktails," he said. "Some youths are contacted by these protest leaders to attack policemen in villages."
"They have no idea what their actions could lead to and are told to keep a low profile after the incident until they receive new instructions. Most of these youths have expensive photography equipment, which they use to capture videos or images that are posted on their social networking websites."
Further questioning about the source of funds available to the protesters, the source claimed some political groups are backing the young men.
"We know for a fact that some political groups collect money on the pretext of charity in their authorised marches," he said.
"They collect millions of dinars through this practice which we do not see being deposited in banks. So how is this money utilised?" – TradeArabia News Service
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Bahrain seizes $7.2m drugs in boat raids
- UAE pulls out of $9.8bn Eurofighter deal
- Saudi's inaugural food expo 'a big hit'
- One million Gazans in need of food aid says UN
- US burger chain to open outlets in Saudi
- $350,000 raised at Dubai charity event
- 2013 deadliest for desperate migrants, says report
- Bahrain sees 25pc drop in fires
- 4,500 to exhibit at Dubai food show
- Northrop Grumman names new Saudi head