Causeway ordeal for truck drivers
Manama, September 19, 2012
Scores of trucks heading to Saudi Arabia were stranded yesterday at the King Fahad Causeway for several hours as they were not allowed to proceed.
Sources said they had been waiting in Janabiya when word came that all of them would be allowed in. Bahrain's traffic police officers escorted the vehicles to the crossing, but were reportedly told the Saudi customs would not allow any vehicle in after 5pm.
All the trucks were then escorted back to Janabiya. This affected traffic flow for several hours and caused severe congestion along the highway.
Our sister newspaper, the Gulf Daily News, had reported earlier that trucks had been waiting for several days to cross into Saudi Arabia, but the situation eased last week when many transporters stopped sending trucks until the rush cleared.
Transporters had then said they feared the problem would return. – TradeArabia News Service
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Mubadala unit developing new cabin concept
- Iran denies link to spying ring in Saudi
- Turkey shuts Syria border after bombings
- Enrolment for tourism youth summer camp opens
- Bahrain MPs vote to ban pork
- Kuwaiti touristic website introduced
- Lebanese firm to invest $800m in Sudan
- Interface showcases new collection
- Saudi woman director wins top GFF award
- Bahrain food firms gear up for Ramadan