Friday 26 December 2014
 
»
 
»
Story

Police officials work at a bomb site in Manama

Top Bahrain mall beefs up security

Manama, November 6, 2012

Security has been increased at one of Bahrain's most popular shopping malls after two people died and another was critically injured in a series of bombings.

Five homemade explosive devices - four concealed in garbage bins and one placed under a car being repaired at a garage - went off in areas of Manama densely populated by Asian expatriates yesterday.

News of the devices, which exploded between 4.30am and 9.30am, prompted an immediate tightening of security in hotels and other key outlets.

The Seef Mall confirmed extra guards had been drafted in as a precaution, said a report in our sister publication the Gulf Daily News (GDN).

"We have added five security guards and given them all detectors to scan incoming shoppers," said a security official. "We have also made sure all cars coming into the mall are checked."

Officials at the Diplomat Radisson Blu Hotel, Residence and Spa said the hotel was on high alert.

"We are now in close contact with the Interior Ministry and are following their guidelines, as well as our own guidelines for these situations," said director of sales and marketing Michael Kuhn. "We cannot make those details public. Appropriate measures are being taken."

Many other hotels were unaware of the bomb blasts when informed by the GDN.

"We haven't seen anything or been alerted by the police. We will monitor the situation," said Gulf Hotel general manager Ian McKie.

Golden Tulip Hotel development director Hassan Al Shehabi spoke of his shock at the blasts. "I wasn't aware of what was going on. It is absolutely dreadful," he said. "We will definitely call a meeting with the managers and make sure that everything is in order. Our top priority is our guests' safety." – TradeArabia News Service




Tags: Bahrain | hotel | Security | mall | Bomb | blasts |

More Miscellaneous Stories

calendarCalendar of Events

Ads