Bahrain deploys National Guard
Manama, November 11, 2012
Bahrain's National Guard was out in force yesterday, patrolling strategic locations to ensure people's safety, said the Information Affairs Authority.
They were also stationed around car dealerships in Sitra as a precautionary measure, it said on its official Twitter account.
The move follows an attack on First Motors' Hyundai warehouse in Sitra, where vandals set fire to 59 cars after they attacked and tied up the security guards on November 6, said a report in ous sister publication the Gulf Daily News.
A day earlier, two people were killed while a third was critically injured in a series of explosions in Gudaibya and Adliya. A number of calls reporting suspicious objects have since kept police and the bomb squad busy. However, no major incident has since been reported.
Meanwhile, the Interior Ministry said it set up security checkpoints as a precautionary measure to prevent violence surrounding the Friday prayer service in Diraz. It said Reuters' allegations that the Press was banned from entering Diraz were not true.
The Reuters reporter accessed the area with no restrictions, it said. The Police Media Centre worked round the clock to help journalists with their inquiries, but they failed to contact the centre and instead relied on misinformation on social media websites, the ministry said.
Meanwhile, street cleaners in Bahrain are petrified to continue working following a series of explosions that killed two people and left a third critically injured.
They are too afraid to walk into trouble spots and collect rubbish as a result of last week's attacks, but say they have no other option but to carry on.
Investigations are ongoing into the blasts and several suspects have been arrested, but police earlier confirmed high-intensity Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) were used in the attacks, which took place in five locations across Gudaibiya, Adliya and Hoora on November 5 between 4.31am and 9.24am. – TradeArabia News Service
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Bahrain seizes $7.2m drugs in boat raids
- UAE pulls out of $9.8bn Eurofighter deal
- Saudi's inaugural food expo 'a big hit'
- One million Gazans in need of food aid says UN
- US burger chain to open outlets in Saudi
- $350,000 raised at Dubai charity event
- 2013 deadliest for desperate migrants, says report
- Bahrain sees 25pc drop in fires
- 4,500 to exhibit at Dubai food show
- Northrop Grumman names new Saudi head