NBK Capital buys into UAE dining chain
Kuwait, November 5, 2013
NBK Capital, a subsidiary of the National Bank of Kuwait (NBK), has acquired a 49 per cent stake in Shakespeare and Co, a leading casual dining chain headquartered in the UAE.
The investment was made through NBK Capital Equity Partners Fund II, the firm’s second private equity fund focusing on growth investments in middle market companies across the Mena region.
Established in the thriving metropolis of Dubai in 2001 by the Saad Family, the Shakespeare and Co. concept features period inspired décor, a diverse menu comprising of international fare, classic French patisserie and handmade gourmet chocolates.
Since opening their first branch on Dubai’s iconic Sheikh Zayed Road over 12 years ago, the company has since grown to 17 company owned and operated establishments in the UAE, and one in the US, as well as franchise locations in Jordan, Lebanon, Qatar and Oman.
Dr Edward Saad, chairman of Shakespeare and Co. said: “This partnership with NBK Capital is a significant strategic step forward for Shakespeare as we accelerate our expansion regionally and internationally. We are very proud of our accomplishments and success over the years, and we look forward to the next chapter in our evolution.”
Amjad Ahmad, senior managing director and head of Alternative Investments at NBK Capital stated: “Our investment in Shakespeare and Co. is consistent with our strategy of investing in middle market companies operating in sectors with strong fundamentals. The company has built an excellent concept which we plan to grow and develop together over the coming years.”
Samer Khalidi, executive director at NBK Capital said: “Shakespeare and Co. is a highly successful concept. Its recognized and respected brand and positioning in the market are major strengths that the partners will leverage to further expand throughout the Mena region and beyond.”
NBK Capital Equity Partners Fund II, a Cayman Islands based private equity fund placed through the firm’s subsidiary in the DIFC, is managed by NBK Capital as part of the Alternative Investments Group which focuses on growth investments in middle market companies in the Mena region.
The group specializes in an active investment approach to create long-term sustainable value through financial, strategic, operating and corporate governance enhancements. – TradeArabia News Service
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Dubai chamber F&B group sets roadmap for 2014
- Feminisation drive costs $213m to Saudi firms
- US interiors firm opens MEA base in Dubai
- Saudi 'spends $1.6bn on energy drinks'
- Farmer is jailed for raping housemaid in Bahrain
- Bahraini mother recounts firebombs agony
- Guard foils masked ATM robbers in Bahrain
- Bahraini on Arab world's 'most powerful women' list
- Latest kitchen technology at Sharjah event
- Number of HNWIs in Africa to double by 2023
- World boxing legend to visit Bahrain
- UAE road accidents decline by 23.5pc
- Top businesswomen in Bahrain honoured
- Death penalty sought for Bahrain terrorists
- Girl, 9, dies after fall from 8th floor in Abu Dhabi
- Lebanese café brand opens Dubai outlet
- Bahrain poultry firm told to step up safety
- Customer dies in Bahrain cafe brawl
- Bahraini boys hurt while planting bombs
- Philips, Ericsson launch LED street lighting
- DuBiotech to set up first Halal safety lab
- Jotun to supply coatings for Makkah Station
- Raytheon wins $655m Kuwait Patriot deal
- Alwaleed Foundation lights up 3 Saudi villages
- Poultry farms strike may trigger shortages in Bahrain
- Oman seals Victoria food security pact
- Saudi woman, 80, donates $133m to charity
- New Saudi clamp on energy drinks
- Outrage follows Bahrain killer bomb
- Improvised explosive device used in Bahrain attack