Sunday 16 June 2019
 
»
 
»
Story

The bus carrying police officers damaged in the attack

Bahrain PM vows to bring blast perpetrators to justice

MANAMA, July 29, 2015

The perpetrators of Sitra terrorist attack will be brought to justice and held accountable, Bahrain’s Premier said as he chaired a security meeting at Gudaibiya Palace yesterday (July 28).

He was speaking after the blast killed two on-duty policemen and wounded others, reported the Gulf Daily News (GDN), our sister publication.

His Royal Highness Prime Minister Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa was given a detailed account of the attack.

He strongly condemned the cowardly act, saying that the hand of justice will reach those who attempt to subvert Bahrain’s security and stability.

He vowed that all those implicated in terror acts against Bahrain will be held accountable – whether perpetrators, or those who aided and abetted them or instigators.

“The government and people of Bahrain stand more than ever with the security forces,” he said, adding that such terrorist acts will only make Bahrainis stronger and more committed to national unity.

He vowed that there would be no compromise when it came to the security and safety of citizens.

He paid tribute to the security forces for their  dedicated efforts to maintain Bahrain’s security and stability and defend the nation, saying that their sacrifices will always be a source of pride for all loyal citizens.

He extended heartfelt condolences to the victims’ bereaved families, wishing the wounded quick recovery.

The high-grade explosives were placed on a street corner near the Gurnata Primary School for Girls, where police patrols were stationed.

Two of the officers – identified as Naweed Ahmed  and Hamid Rasool – were instantly killed by the sheer force of the blast, which happened at around 6.29am.

Another policeman was critically injured and five others suffered multiple injuries, while a police bus carrying 20 officers was completely damaged and its glass windows shattered.

Part of the wall of the school, which was empty because of summer holidays, was also damaged.

“A bus carrying policemen at the end of their shift at the Sitra police station was near the Gurnata Primary Girl School on Road 1 when a group of terrorists remotely detonated a bomb planted there,” said Public Security chief Major General Tariq Al Hassan in a statement.

“This caused the death of two policemen, and six others sustained serious and medium injuries.

“The wounded were taken to hospital and initial reports state they are stable.”

He said various security and legal steps were taken following the incident.

“A crime scene team was assigned to the location to examine the evidence and the Public Prosecution was notified,” he added.

“Such terrorist acts will not stop policemen from carrying out their duties and taking all security and legal procedures against anyone that endangers lives of citizens and residents or attacks public and private property.”

Security forces closed off the entire village yesterday as forensic experts examined the scene of the blast and the number of police patrols and armoured vehicles was increased.

Checkpoints were also set up as a manhunt was launched for those behind the attack.

A seemingly new terror group called Saraya Wa’ad Allah (God’s promise Brigades) has claimed responsibility for the attack, which had the second biggest death toll suffered by security forces following last year’s Daih blast which killed three policemen when an improvised explosive device was triggered by terrorists.

Sources told the GDN that the attack happened during a shift change to target as many police officers as possible.  

“Preliminary details indicate that the explosives used in the terror attack in Sitra are of the same type that smugglers have recently attempted to sneak from Iran into the kingdom,” said the Information Affairs Authority.

Scores of people, including expatriates, showed up at the BDF Hospital to donate blood to the injured policemen following calls by the National Unity Assembly and social media users.

Doctors treating the injured policemen told the GDN at least two of the officers could be paralysed for life.

“Eight people were brought in to the hospital of which two were pronounced dead on arrival, two were discharged with minor injuries and the rest were treated for medium injuries,” one of the doctors said on condition of anonymity.

“One of the injured policemen might lose two of his limbs and another severely damaged his spine and could end up paralysed.”

Meanwhile, the Pakistan Embassy confirmed all eight policemen targeted in yesterday’s attack were its nationals.

“The two men who died and all the injured are Pakistanis and the embassy is following up the case in co-operation with the Interior Ministry,” said community welfare attaché Maqsood Shah.

“We are yet to receive clearance from the ministry to complete the formalities whether to bury the bodies of the deceased in Bahrain or repatriate them to Pakistan.”

Meanwhile, Britain and the US last night condemned the Sitra attack.

“I strongly condemn the attack against police officers in Sitra which resulted in the deaths of two people and serious injuries to others,” said Britain’s Minister for the Middle East Tobias Ellwood.

“The UK’s relationship with Bahrain is long-standing and we are working closely with the government of Bahrain to enhance our security co-operation, tackle the threat from terrorism, and support Bahrain’s reform programme,” he said in a statement.

He offered condolences to the families and friends of the victims.

A US embassy statement described the blast as a horrific crime, adding that nothing can justify such deadly attacks. It also extended condolences to the martyrs’ bereaved families. - TradeArabia News Service




Tags: attack | Police | Justice | Sitra |

More Miscellaneous Stories

calendarCalendar of Events

Ads