Monday 30 March 2020
 
»
 
»
DAMAGE ASSESSMENT UNDERWAY

Image: Bigstockphoto. For illustration only.

Iran fires ballistic missiles at US forces in Iraq

WASHINGTON, January 8, 2020

Iran launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles against US military and coalition forces in Iraq in the early hours of Wednesday, the US Department of Defence said in a statement on its official website.

“It is clear that these missiles were launched from Iran and targeted at least two Iraqi military bases hosting US military and coalition personnel at Al-Assad and Irbil,” said Jonathan Hoffman, Assistant to the Secretary of Defence for Public Affairs, in the statement.

“We are working on initial battle damage assessments,” he added, noting that in recent days and in response to Iranian threats and actions, the Department of Defence has taken all appropriate measures to safeguard its personnel and partners.

“These bases have been on high alert due to indications that the Iranian regime planned to attack our forces and interests in the region,” Hoffman said.

“As we evaluate the situation and our response, we will take all necessary measures to protect and defend US personnel, partners, and allies in the region.

“Due to the dynamic nature of the situation, we will continue to provide updates as they become available,” he added.

Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump tweeted: “All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.”

Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) said in the statement that the attacks came in response to the assassination of the commander of the IRGC Quds Forces Lieutenant General Qasem Soleimani by the US forces in Iraq. – TradeArabia News Service




Tags:

More Miscellaneous Stories

calendarCalendar of Events

Ads