Merc sportier roadster set for ME launch
Dubai, February 4, 2008
Mercedes-Benz will continue its long tradition of producing legendary sports cars when it launches the new-generation of the world’s most successful premium roadster, the SL-Class in the Middle East in April.
The roadster features a new design with the emphasis firmly on sportiness and effortless driving, said a company official.
“These traits are also reflected in the handling qualities of the two-seater model, which now delivers even more athletic performance thanks to the new direct-steer system as well as offering enhanced comfort and safety,” said Frank Bernthaler, director, sales and marketing, Mercedes-Benz Cars, Middle East and Levant.
The new SL range will also feature two six-cylinder models starting with the new entry-level SL 280 (231 hp) and the SL 350 as well as the familiar SL 500 with a V8 engine and the top-of-the-range SL 600 with a V12 powerplant.
The popular SL 350 is powered by a newly developed, extremely high-revving sports engine boasting an impressive output of 316 hp yet returns a fuel consumption figure that is 0.4 litres per 100 kilometres lower than that of its predecessor (NEDC).
'The Mercedes-Benz sports car extends its segment lead in the safety stakes courtesy of bi-xenon headlamps, included as standard, and the Intelligent Light System whose functions are designed specifically for typical driving situations,' he said.
Its new features include Airscarf neck-level heating first introduced in the SLK roadster. 'This system – invented by Mercedes-Benz and available as an optional extra – enhances comfort when driving with the roof down, extending the roadster season until well into the winter months,' he explained.
SL passengers are kept informed and entertained by the standard-fit Comand multimedia system, which has also been fully redeveloped and features additional functions.-TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers
- F1 stars meet racing fans in Bahrain
- New Audi A3 Sedan launched in Bahrain
- Tata mulls Jaguar Land Rover plant in Saudi
- Nissan to showcase top models at Geneva show
- 51pc Dubai car buyers 'dissatisfied' with price
- Kia on Tour to start next week
- Al-Futtaim supplies hybrids to Cars Taxi
- Arabian Auto named Importer of the Year
- Dubai RTA launches limo booking service
- Bahrain F1 fans to meet favourite drivers
- Motorcity offers special service for Chery owners