Qatar to upgrade Losail circuit to F1 standards
Doha, March 26, 2008
Qatar plans to improve its Losail MotoGP circuit to cater eventually for Formula One, a senior official said.
'We are planning a massive upgrade of the Losail circuit to make it possible to host Formula One races when the time comes,' Qatar Motor and Motorcycling Federation president Nasser Khalifa al-Attiyah told Qatar's Gulf Times newspaper on Wednesday.
'We will be shortly inviting tenders for the job and once we decide on whom to award the contract, work will start soon,' he added.
Losail hosted MotoGP's first night race earlier this month but may have to wait many years for the chance to host a Formula One Grand Prix, with Bahrain already on the calendar and Abu Dhabi making its debut next year.
'You cannot say what is going to happen in the future,' Al-Attiyah said.
'Formula One teams can use the track for testing which will put Qatar on the map and also help us earn good revenue.'
Bahrain hosts the only Middle Eastern Grand Prix next week at its Sakhir circuit. - Reuters
More Motoring Stories
- Hyundai to unveil concept car in 2014
- Isuzu D-Max pickup unveiled in Bahrain
- Bahrain motor show opens today
- Bahrain motor show to line-up top models
- GM shakes up auto industry, names first woman CEO
- Nissan Tiida named ‘Best Budget Hatchback’
- Arabian Automobiles inks Infiniti purchase deal
- Record launches at Dubai motor show
- Harley-Davidson Mena backs UN food programme
- Dubai, Riyadh transport plans win praise