Renault’s first crossover arrives in UAE
Dubai, May 7, 2009
Renault’s 4x4 crossover vehicle Koleos, which captured a 12 per cent market share in its category in France in eight months of its launch, is now available in the UAE.
Renault Koleos’ design focuses on versatility, offering the same reassuring drive in and about town, on open roads and motorways as well as off the beaten track, said a report.
Koleos combines the high stance and features of an SUV with the cabin space of an MPV, and the comfort of a modern saloon car.
“The launch of the Koleos is an important milestone– not just in Europe but especially in the GCC where the SUV segment is one of the strongest,” said Mohamed Bennani, managing director of Renault GCC.
“The release of our first 4x4 crossover completes our line-up and is proof that Renault has the capacity, expertise and ability to take a completely fresh approach in segments where it has traditionally been absent.
The Koleos is powered by a 2.5-litre Euro 3 powerplant with continuously variable transmission (CVT) along with a 6 speed manual mode. The maximum power output of this 2,488cc engine is 170hp (126kW) at 6,000rpm to ensure genuine driving pleasure. Peak torque is 226Nm at 4,400 rpm.
Available in five categories - two 4x2 and three 4x4 versions – customers can choose from a range of 9 sporty body colours. Priced from $19,500 onwards, Renault Koleos is on sale at all Arabian Automobile showrooms in Dubai and Al Masood Automobile outlets in Abu Dhabi and Al Ain.
In addition to all-terrain attributes like high ground clearance and skid-plates, the impression of ruggedness exuded by Koleos gives a reassuring feel. Other features include automatic headlamp and wiper activation, cruise control/speed limiter, while the controls for the power windows, adjustment of the exterior mirrors and central locking are all located on the driver's door.
Despite its higher ground clearance, Koleos handles like a saloon car. Special attention was paid to cornering performance with the intention to curb body-roll which can often take place in SUV-type vehicles.
Modularity-enhancing features of the Koleos include the 'easy estate' system which enables the 60/40-split rear benchseat to be folded from the boot without having to open the rear side doors. The available space can be compartmentalised further with the use of the multipurpose retention net in a choice of ways.
The Koleos provides a stowage capacity of 70 litres which includes a 15-litre glove box and under floor boot stowage of 28 litres.
Renault Koleos is equipped with a hill start assist function which can prove a particularly useful asset during everyday motoring. This system is automatically activated on gradients of more than 10 per cent to prevent the vehicle from slipping back down. Similarly, the car is also equipped with a hill descent control system for even safer off-road motoring.
Other key features of this new 4x4 crossover include effective damping of mechanical and road noise, record headroom and knee room for front occupants in a SUV, 4x4 and crossover categories; and passengers can benefit from the largest panoramic opening sunroof available on the market – this features a total, transparent glazed area of 0.75 sq mt which is unmatched in the SUV and crossover segment.
Koleos also features comprehensive range of top-end audio systems developed by Bose, as well as front and rear parking sensors, enhanced night-time vision with bi-Xenon headlamps and fixed bending lights.
Safety is paramount for Renault and Koleos has been engineered to provide impeccable performance on both the active and passive safety fronts.
Koleos is the tenth Renault model to obtain a maximum five-star rating in adult protection and is one of only four models out of 17 tested in the small off-road 4x4 category to achieve the maximum five-star EuroNCAP crash test rating – this speaks volumes for the brands
More Motoring Stories
- Qatar Rail backs Gulf Traffic Week
- Citibank in Bahrain F1 tickets offer
- New Renault Safrane arrives in Saudi
- Bentley announces key regional postings
- Jordan dealer launches Jaguar promotion
- New Maserati Ghibli launched in Bahrain
- BMW unveils mobile site, iDrive in Arabic
- Toyota holds body and paint contest in Bahrain
- 330 tonnes of specialist racing cargo for Bahrain
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers