Volkswagen rolls out new E Up!
Frankfurt, September 16, 2009
Volkswagen unveiled a pioneering fleet of new sustainable automobiles including an electric car developed from the ground up (the E-Up) at the 63rd International Motor Show (IAA) in Germany.
Altogether, these Volkswagens, ranging from the world’s most fuel-efficient car (BlueMotion) to hybrid technology - are revising milestones on the timeline between present and future, said a top official of the company.
“One of the basic milestones on this timeline,” says Prof. Dr Martin Winterkorn, chairman of the Board of Management of the Volkswagen Group, “is the mass produced electric car.
'Yet, to be a genuine success such an electric car must be affordable to a broad customer base and must be uncompromisingly practical in every day driving. Only then, in high volumes, and ideally on all continents, can one truly speak of the beginning of the electric age in automobiles and a perceptible reduction of their environmental impact.'
“Nonetheless, until the production numbers of a purely electric car approach the success curve of a Polo, its schedule will indicate the year 2020 at the earliest. That is why our highly efficient TDI and TSI engines are the most important waypoints of the present. They will continue to be a dominant force for decades,' the group chief said.
'And they are what allow us to make the step-by-step transition to the future. Cars with pure petrol and diesel engines – which in the foreseeable future will continue to be unbeatable for mid- to long-range distances – will be supplemented by cars like the E-Up! in upcoming years, especially in the city. And that will happen starting in 2013.'
The concept car now being presented in Frankfurt very realistically shows how we envision such a Volkswagen with pure electric drive – technically, visually and with regard to a practical size, Winterkorn commented.
The zero-emissions concept car designed under the leadership of Dr. Ulrich Hackenberg, member of the Board of Management, Volkswagen Brand, and head of the Development business area, is based on modules of the New Small Family anticipated in the year 2011; but at a length of 3.19 meters, it is even more compact.
It also offers an innovative 3+1 seating concept. In its styling, the powerful and clearly drawn lines of the E-Up! body follow the new Volkswagen “design DNA” par excellence and show cult potential.
The E-Up! emphatically demonstrates that emission-free Volkswagens will be anything but lacking in emotion. Responsible for this, once again, is the team led by group chief designer Walter de Silva.
Together with Klaus Bischoff (chief designer, Volkswagen Brand) and Flavio Manzoni (head of Creative Design, Volkswagen Group), he developed a layout for the E-Up! that reflects the visual bandwidth of the future New Small Family.
The E-Up! bears a resemblance to previously presented concept vehicles of this new model series – the Up! (city specialist), Space-Up! (microvan) and Space-Up Blue! (fuel cell powered van) – it represents a design stage that reflects the future production car even more closely.
“The E-Up!”, says Klaus Bischoff, “is characterised by a reduced, very clear and yet highly emotional design.” And that is certainly no coincidence.
The car’s lines consistently follow Volkswagen’s new era “design DNA” that was developed by de Silva, Bischoff and Manzoni. Its key stylistic traits are Simplicity, purity, durability and perfection of its technologies and quality, he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers
- F1 stars meet racing fans in Bahrain
- New Audi A3 Sedan launched in Bahrain
- Tata mulls Jaguar Land Rover plant in Saudi
- Nissan to showcase top models at Geneva show
- 51pc Dubai car buyers 'dissatisfied' with price
- Kia on Tour to start next week
- Al-Futtaim supplies hybrids to Cars Taxi
- Arabian Auto named Importer of the Year
- Dubai RTA launches limo booking service
- Bahrain F1 fans to meet favourite drivers
- Motorcity offers special service for Chery owners
- Infiniti to appoint Al Ghassan as Saudi dealer