Bahrain to host 2010 opening F1 race
Manama, September 28, 2009
National carrier Gulf Air and title sponsor of the Formula One Bahrain Grand Prix, and Bahrain International Circuit (BIC) have welcomed the news that the Kingdom will host the opening race of the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship.
The 2010 Gulf Air Formula One Bahrain Grand Prix will take place from March 12 to 14, the first of 19 races confirmed in the 2010 calendar.
As the first race of the new season, Bahrain will mark the start of not only a new era in F1 racing, with the introduction of new teams and new rules, but also kick-off the sport’s 60th anniversary celebrations.
Celebrating jointly with the sport of Formula One will be the race sponsor Gulf Air, which also celebrates its Diamond Jubilee in 2010.
Gulf Air chief executive officer Samer Majali said: 'The Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix has gone from strength to strength since the first race in April 2004. It is testament to its success and organisation that it has been chosen to open the 2010 season.'
'This is a fantastic opportunity for Gulf Air and the entire travel and tourism industry of Bahrain to take advantage of. Motorsport events such as the F1 GP as well as the V8 Desert 400 and GP2 draw thousands of fans from across the Middle East and the international community which brings significant economic benefits to the Kingdom.'
“Gulf Air’s alliance with this world-class event reinforces our pioneering spirit and more importantly our support of the growth and development of the Kingdom of Bahrain.We are a proud ambassador of Bahrain and take our role in supporting the country’s diversification in key areas such as tourism very seriously,' he remarked.
“It is wonderful that we will be celebrating our Diamond Jubilee with the world of Formula One. Certainly the synergies between the worlds of aviation and motorsport are notable, particularly in terms of the development of new technologies to become faster, greener and more efficient,' Majali said.
'Looking forward to the next 60 years of Gulf Air and Formula One the synergies continue as we operate in a new age which requires us both to recognise the challenges we face and adapt accordingly,' he noted.
'F1 has introduced new rules for next year in a bid to cap budgets such as abolishing refuelling and here at Gulf Air we too are scrutinising every aspect of our business to become a sustainable, successful business in the future. 2010 promises to be an exciting year with much to celebrate and much to look forward to,' Majali added.
BIC chief executive officer Martin Whitaker said: “It is fantastic that almost six years to the day that His Majesty The King Shaikh Hamad bin Isa Al-Khalifa was handed the keys of the completed Sakhir Circuit that we will be the first race of the 2010 season, in what will be such an important year for both Formula One and our title sponsor Gulf Air.'
”It’s a great honour to host the first race and this truly cements our place as the home of motorsport in the Middle East. Bahrain has earned the title 'The Friendly Race' and we are looking forward to extending the traditional warm welcome to everyone in 2010.'
'March 14 will witness the start of a new era in Formula One racing and a spectacular 60th anniversary celebration of F1 and our race sponsor Gulf Air. The tickets for the 2010 Bahrain GP are now available on www.bahraingp.com.'
'Over the last six Gulf Air Bahrain Grands Prix we have seen the race develop a platform for business development as well as a global shop window for the Kingdom.'
'Bahrain is a burgeoning business and tourism destination which is rich in heritage, yet still excited about its future and the opportunities which lie ahead. The country's Economic Development Board along with its holding company, Mumtalakat,<
More Motoring Stories
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers
- F1 stars meet racing fans in Bahrain
- New Audi A3 Sedan launched in Bahrain
- Tata mulls Jaguar Land Rover plant in Saudi
- Nissan to showcase top models at Geneva show
- 51pc Dubai car buyers 'dissatisfied' with price
- Kia on Tour to start next week
- Al-Futtaim supplies hybrids to Cars Taxi
- Arabian Auto named Importer of the Year
- Dubai RTA launches limo booking service
- Bahrain F1 fans to meet favourite drivers
- Motorcity offers special service for Chery owners
- Infiniti to appoint Al Ghassan as Saudi dealer