Tickets on sale for Abu Dhabi drifting series
Abu Dhabi, February 9, 2011
Tickets have gone on sale for the first-ever appearance of the world’s leading drifting series in the UAE.
Eight of the top drivers and cars from Formula Drift will showcase their skills in competition format drifting set to take place at Yas Marina Circuit on February 25.
Formula Drift is a US-based series in which drivers manoeuvre their cars through a marked course at high speed and at close quarters into controlled sideways slides, known as ‘drifting’.
A panel of judges awards points for four elements: speed, line, angle and overall impression. It takes place on a closed course and is judged on execution and style rather than who finishes the course fastest.
“The excitement of Formula Drift will have a broad appeal in the UAE, not only to core motorsports fans but to a much wider audience who simply want to enjoy great entertainment,” said Richard Cregan, chief executive officer of Yas Marina Circuit.
“The car-handling skill of these drivers has to be seen to be believed. Our aim is to bring the very best of world motorsport to Abu Dhabi, and drifting at this level will add a new dimension to the range of events on offer here.”
Among the drivers performing at Yas will be two-time Formula Drift champion and three-time X-Games gold medalist Tanner Foust, 2010 Formula Drift Rookie of the Year and former Scandinavian champion Fredric Aasbo, and 2009 Formula Drift champion Chris Forsberg.
Tickets to the event at Yas Marina Circuit start from Dh50 ($13.60), with children of 12 and under admitted free of charge to the general admission and premium ticket categories. – TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- 303 deaths linked to recalled GM cars: Watchdog
- Rising luxury car sales drives tuning industry
- Global debut for Audi RS 5 model
- New taxi laws to curb accidents in Abu Dhabi
- Traffic chaos fear in Bahrain
- Toyota remains ‘world’s most valuable car brand’
- Yas Marina Circuit appoints new CEO
- Mercedes-Benz event shows off SUV range
- Qatar Rail backs Gulf Traffic Week
- Citibank in Bahrain F1 tickets offer
- New Renault Safrane arrives in Saudi
- Bentley announces key regional postings
- Jordan dealer launches Jaguar promotion
- New Maserati Ghibli launched in Bahrain
- BMW unveils mobile site, iDrive in Arabic
- Toyota holds body and paint contest in Bahrain
- 330 tonnes of specialist racing cargo for Bahrain
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm