Bahrain cancels F1 race
Manama, February 21, 2011
The Bahrain International Circuit (BIC) on Monday announced that it would withdraw from hosting this year’s F1 Grand Prix race so that the Kingdom can focus on its process of national dialogue.
Last Friday, Bahrain’s Crown Prince HRH Prince Salman bin Hamad Al-Khalifa initiated a new national dialogue involving all sections of Bahraini society in order to resolve the current political situation in the Kingdom.
The Crown Prince informed Formula One’s Bernie Ecclestone of the BIC’s decision by telephone earlier on Monday.
'At the present time the country’s entire attention is focused on building a new national dialogue for Bahrain,' HRH Prince Salman said in a statement.
"Although Ecclestone had graciously made clear that a decision on the race was entirely Bahrain’s to make and was not yet required, we felt it was important for the country to focus on immediate issues of national interest and leave the hosting of Bahrain’s Formula 1 race to a later date," the Crown Prince said.
"After the events of the past week, our nation’s priority is on overcoming tragedy, healing divisions and rediscovering the fabric that draws this country together; reminding world of the very best Bahrain is capable of as a nation once again united," Prince Salman added.
BIC chairman Zayed R. Alzayani said, 'Bahrain’s Grand Prix is a time of celebration and hosting the race is a source of great pride for Bahrain and Bahrainis. It is a showcase to the world and we look forward to welcoming the teams and drivers and everyone involved in Formula One back to Bahrain in the very near future.'
'I hope that F1 and our friends around the world will understand our decision at this difficult time,' he added.
In his comments, Ecclestone said, "It is sad that Bahrain has had to withdraw from the race, we wish the whole nation well as they begin to heal their country."
“The hospitality and warmth of the people of Bahrain is a hallmark of the race there, as anyone who has been at a Bahrain Grand Prix will testify. We look forward to being back in Bahrain soon,” he added.
No decision has been made on a new date for the rescheduling of the race, which was due to take place from March 11 to 13, the BIC said.-TradeArabia News Service