All-new Lexus GS unveiled at Dubai Motor Show
Dubai, November 10, 2011
Al-Futtaim Motors, exclusive distributor of Lexus in the UAE, today unveiled the all-new Lexus GS coinciding with the opening of the Dubai Motor Show.
The vehicle embodies the new face of Lexus and reflects the new direction for all future Lexus models to be launched in coming years, said a statement.
The first car to be built with the new design, GS combines world-class luxury, evocative design, outstanding driving dynamics and innovative technology to create the ultimate luxury performance sedan in its class, it said.
Fatima Tomoum, deputy general manager of Al-Futtaim Motors – Lexus, said: “The all-new Lexus GS is the first car to showcase the new direction for the brand. The car has been designed, engineered, and manufactured without compromise.”
Tomoum continued: “In order to create a completely new GS from the ground up, the starting point for development did not begin in a meeting room or on a computer, but behind the wheel and on the road. The chief engineer and his team drove more than a million km and talked to customers all over the world, to understand what was needed to take the new generation GS to a whole new level”.
While the inspiration for its styling and performance comes directly from the supercar LFA, Lexus comfort and luxury have been taken to the new level which will set the benchmark in this segment, Tomoum said.
The new GS has an all-new exterior that reflects further development of Lexus’ unique, L-finesse design philosophy. The new signature spindle grille with its trapezoidal contours which evolved from current Lexus styling, gives the car a bolder, more dynamic style, resulting in a commanding road presence. The spindle grille fully integrates into the aggressive front bumper allowing for efficient airflow. This distinctive Lexus design feature combined with the deep-set, high-tech headlamps and L-shaped LED daytime running lamps further express the vehicle’s confident and dynamic character.
“The spindle grill has now become a trademark in the full scale change taking shape at Lexus. All future models from Lexus will incorporate the head-turning grille as part of the new design direction being incorporated by the luxury brand,” said the statement.
The vehicle is powered by 3.5-liter V6, four cams, and four valves per cylinder with dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i). At 306 horsepower, it is one of the most powerful base engines in the segment, as well as the only one with both port and direct injection. The car also comes with an Atkinson cycle 3.5-liter V6 engine mated to a compact, high-output, water-cooled permanent magnet electric motor. The two powerplants drive the rear wheels both independently and in tandem, as needed.
Acceleration from 30 to 50 mph can take just 3.0 seconds, while improved engine sound characteristics complement the bolder, more energetic personality of the new GS, it said.
The new GS expresses a new generation of Lexus’ driver focused interior design. Painstaking attention to detail was applied to the GS cabin to create a balance of luxurious and technological amenities and emotional design. A redesigned seat frame and changes to steering column architecture enable an improved driver seating position for increased comfort, better forward visibility and overall command of the road, it said.
All white LED interior lighting, 18 way powered seats, advanced drive modes, intuitive remote touch and new interior color options enhances the luxury features, the statement said.
The luxurious interior also comes with several highly innovative technologies that make a first appearance in the new GS model range! A new, energy saving air-conditioning system with S-Flow and ‘nanoe’ technologies; a second generation Remote Touch Interface (RTI) linked to the world’s largest on-board multi-information display screen; and a choice of audio systems offering unparalleled power and clarity.
Tomoum concluded: “This is just the beginning. Lexus will launch five new or updated vehicles next year that will embody the new Lexus design direction. The spindle grille seen on the GS is a significant characteristic of the new design direction and will be incorporated on all future vehicles from Lexus. We encourage everybody to visit our stand at Motorshow to have a close look at the new GS and with Lexus through this year’s offerings.”
The Lexus stand at this year’s motor show is twice as big as the previous year. In addition to checking out the new vehicles in the Performance and Hybrid areas, as well as the recently launched F-sport package in the F-sport dedicated space, visitors will be able to live the Lexus Audio Experience featuring Mark Levinson audio system, and purchase exclusive Lexus merchandise at the Lexus Boutique. – TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- BMW unveils mobile site, iDrive in Arabic
- Toyota holds body and paint contest in Bahrain
- 330 tonnes of specialist racing cargo for Bahrain
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers
- F1 stars meet racing fans in Bahrain
- New Audi A3 Sedan launched in Bahrain
- Tata mulls Jaguar Land Rover plant in Saudi
- Nissan to showcase top models at Geneva show
- 51pc Dubai car buyers 'dissatisfied' with price
- Kia on Tour to start next week