White, silver favourite vehicle colours
Dubai, November 24, 2011
White/white pearl has emerged as the fastest growing colour to tie with silver as the world’s leading automotive colour choices, according to the 2011 DuPont Automotive Colour Popularity Report, which was released recently.
A substantial increase in the popularity of white/white pearl globally in 2011 has enabled it to surpass longstanding rivals black and gray, to join silver at the top of the world colour ranks in this year’s report.
The DuPont report, in its 59th year, is the longest running and largest of its kind in the industry, and includes automotive colour popularity rankings and regional trends from 11 leading automotive regions of the world.
In 2010, white/white pearl was tied for third with gray in the world colour ranks with just 16 percent share, but its ongoing popularity in North America, combined with a surge in popularity in Europe, China, Korea, South America and South Africa, has helped to increase its position in 2011 to 22 percent globally.
Black and gray dropped to third and fourth, respectively, in this year’s report with red and blue strengthening and holding positions in fifth and sixth place.
“While white/white pearl has historically been a popular colour for vehicles, we’ve seen a bigger shift in its popularity this year than DuPont expected,” said Nancy Lockhart, DuPont color marketing manager.
Silver and black have long been recognised in the top three for colour popularity.
However, in the past few years, white/white pearl has been steadily growing in popularity outside of North America. In 2011, it jumped by more than four percentage points, according to Lockhart.
“There has been increased consumer acceptance for white, and our OEM customers are meeting consumer demand for the clean look it brings to vehicle design,” she said.
“Silver and black were once the top colours of luxury, but white has increased in this area. The overall trend for casual luxury has spread to numerous vehicle types. The expectation to have a luxurious feel to the vehicle is globally sought. Classic white and pearlescent white effects are inspiring luxury design,” she added.
In Europe, black/black effect continued its popularity, with 25 percent share, led by the luxury/luxury SUV segment, with nearly 40 percent segment share.
The Black/black effect has maintained its leadership in the region since 2007, and DuPont expects this trend to continue in the near future, especially with regard to black effect.
White/white pearl made a surprising surge of about five percentage points over 2010, to reach 20 percent share, which is primarily because of the popularity of solid white across all model segments.
“White also is seen as inspiration for the ecological megatrend in Europe, because it represents modern minimalism and future technology,” said Elke Dirks, DuPont colour designer for Europe. “This trend also resulted in a considerable increase in white/white pearl in the luxury segment,” she explained.
Gray had an 18 percent share and silver with a 15 percent share decreased in popularity this year, and blue rounded out Europe’s top five colours with 7 percent of the vehicle market.
DuPont has been bringing world-class science and engineering to the global marketplace in the form of innovative products, materials, and services since 1802.
The company believes that by collaborating with customers, governments, NGOs, and thought leaders we can help find solutions to such global challenges as providing enough healthy food for people everywhere, decreasing dependence on fossil fuels, and protecting life and the environment. – TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers
- F1 stars meet racing fans in Bahrain
- New Audi A3 Sedan launched in Bahrain
- Tata mulls Jaguar Land Rover plant in Saudi
- Nissan to showcase top models at Geneva show
- 51pc Dubai car buyers 'dissatisfied' with price
- Kia on Tour to start next week
- Al-Futtaim supplies hybrids to Cars Taxi
- Arabian Auto named Importer of the Year
- Dubai RTA launches limo booking service
- Bahrain F1 fans to meet favourite drivers
- Motorcity offers special service for Chery owners