Ford Foundation names new Mena head
New York, December 14, 2011
The Ford Foundation has announced the appointment of Dr Noha El-Mikawy to lead its Middle East and North Africa office, which focuses on Egypt.
El-Mikawy brings more than 20 years of experience in governance and international development in the Middle East. She has held various positions with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) since 2006 including a post as governance and poverty adviser at UNDP's Oslo governance centre.
She currently serves as the governance practice leader for the Arab states region. In this role, El-Mikawy provides policy and technical advice to 18 country offices, manages governance practice in the Arab states region and contributes to global corporate policy on democratic governance, a statement from the organization said.
For more than half a century, the Ford Foundation has worked to empower marginalised communities in the Mena region to achieve economic, social and cultural rights by supporting citizen groups and promoting increased government effectiveness, accountability and transparency.
The foundation has been a continuous source of support for innovative civil society and government efforts to advance democratic and accountable government, fundamental human rights, voice and participation, and access to higher education, the statement said.
The foundation is an independent, non-profit grant-making organization, and for the past 75 years worked with courageous people on the frontlines of social change worldwide, guided by its mission to strengthen democratic values, reduce poverty and injustice, promote international cooperation, and advance human achievement.
With its headquarters in New York, the foundation has offices in Latin America, Africa, the Middle East, and Asia, it said. – TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Qatar Rail backs Gulf Traffic Week
- Citibank in Bahrain F1 tickets offer
- New Renault Safrane arrives in Saudi
- Bentley announces key regional postings
- Jordan dealer launches Jaguar promotion
- New Maserati Ghibli launched in Bahrain
- BMW unveils mobile site, iDrive in Arabic
- Toyota holds body and paint contest in Bahrain
- 330 tonnes of specialist racing cargo for Bahrain
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers